Thread: Qled technology screens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Qled technology screens 
    Hello everyone , in a local electronics store , they show fantastic QLED Technology 4K TV's ( I do not give the brand , as I don't make advertising .. but everyone should know .. ) .. the colour reproduction is said to be One Hundred Percent of the Colour Volume .. the blacks are deep , the Images are really beautiful , contrasty , rich colours , a pleasure to look at . I am wondering whether it could be possible , with a dedicated output card , like a Decklink or Intensity Pro card , to use those screens as grading and colouring screens . One possible drawback is their only connectivity ( as far as I know ) which is HDMI .. Does anyone have the knowledge and some experience in that domain ?

It could be a fantastic tool for grading , and to look at our finished movies .. but maybe I am dreaming ..

Thanks for your replies , with my Best Regards from France .

Mike ..

With something like the Intensity Pro, it should work quite nicely.

More important than anything else: can they be accurately calibrated and display the correct colorspace you want? I have zero experience with using tvs as grading monitors, but the same rules apply to every grading screen.

In my expierence clients watching my clips on their devices. The dont have qleds or oleds to enjoy the picture. So grades on oled or qled screens may look flat at usual screens.
    In modern calibration software there is no correction for qleds for now.
    Andrew Bell
    Blackmagic Production 4K Camera
    https://www.youtube.com/user/reklama4demo

oled tv are a better option for what you want

QLED is marketed to look like OLED, to attract the consumer, but is inferior. It's basically LCD with smaller dots. Still uses a backlight. OLED is completely different.

Senior Member daydreamersproductions's Avatar
    I have the UltraStudio 4K Extreme with HDMI 2.0 cable running to a Qled 4K TV. You have to have the 4K Extreme to have thunderbolt 2 and the 4k Ultra Studio is HDMI 1 and no 4:4:4 output. Only the extreme has HDMI 2.0. It looks great but the LG OLED (certain models) were tested by a company that does color calibration for post and EFX houses in LA and they said they are actually reference monitors. They look different from smaller reference monitors because they explain that when a monitor gets bigger the eye sees colors differently. I have one of the OLED monitors that was found to be reference monitor (LG OLED55B6P 55") but have not set it upset untilI get my office, but I can tell you it is a lot nicer to grade on the 4K TV. I know you can calibrate 4K TV's but the calibrators are a bit expensive for them and you can't jus sue the computer screenings.
    Last edited by daydreamersproductions; 08-05-2017 at 08:47 PM.
    Go to my site to see my current Production and Post Production Gear
    http://www.daydreamersproductions.com/

The notion about size is very important, grading for the big screen is normally done with projectors.

Calibrators for TVs are not more expensive than for anything else. You normally do that calibration in the computer hardware anyway, since TVs offer no access to their internal hardware for calibration.

9. #9 Qled/oled / grading monitor 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    The notion about size is very important, grading for the big screen is normally done with projectors.

Calibrators for TVs are not more expensive than for anything else. You normally do that calibration in the computer hardware anyway, since TVs offer no access to their internal hardware for calibration.
    Hello Guys , merci , thanks for your replies , your informations , and your time . So OK , QLED is a misleading term .. at first glance , I would have thought it was an " Improved Oled " .. but it is not .. not at all , not the same technology .. From what I can read , so it seems that OLED is , by far , the best technology , for the best possible image . Blacks are Absolute blacks , so the contrast is an infinite contrast . About the colours , on LG panels , I have read that Delta-E was 1.4 in most cases ( the human eye does not see differences under Delta 3 ) between the display and the source colour . So it seems the colours are really true . Of course , it is possible and necessary to do a calibration , with a probe , Da Vinci then creates a Dedicated LUT for the calibrated screen ..

In stores , yes , everything is way too much punchy .. too much bright , too much contrast , too much saturation ... The screens simply need to be basically correctly adjusted ..

I have read that some models have 4.4.4 HDMI Inputs ( named " HDMI UltraHD Deep Color " ) , but not all models .. So , with the right Black Magic card , it would be perfect .

About the size , yes , the retina cells , when looking at a small image , are not the same , as when you look at a big picture .. There are also psychological effects , it's relatively complex .

About grading for movie theatres , I cannot afford to do that ... at least for now ... and the problems are different : a monitor , or a TV , produces the light , a theater screen Reflects the light , it's not the same at all .. I guess there is a Luminance Loss , but also the colours may be altered by the screen material , so it needs much knowledge , and much experience . If a calibration is necessary , one should not really calibrate the projector , but use the image after reflection from the screen .. needs a very specific equipment ..

Anyway , it seems that , for me , an Oled screen ( minimal size for now is 55 inches ) , with a BM Dedicated card , using HDMI 2.0 4.4.4 , would be a good solution . Some questions remain , about lifespan , possible burnings etc .. but you cannot have everything ..

Maybe TV's are a good way to go , because it's a huge market , so we can have reasonable prices for a top notch technology ..

Merci beaucoup , thanks for your informations and your help , with my Best Regards from France =

Mike ..

Get a LG Oled instead.
    Way better screens, less processing and way better color accuracy than any Samsung out there!
    My website:
    www.55media.net