Thread: Ursa 4k v1 pl - speedbooster project.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Paul.

I am a fresh owner of the URSA camera. Previously and still, I have the SI2K, which I also did a Speedbooster hack on. That was easier because it was the complete BMPCC speedbooster with a home-made IMS-Mount on the back in place of the M4/3 mount.

So the size of the throat in the URSA Mini is smaller. I wonder if it shares the same smaller anti-reflection cone and IR filter of the BM4K.

Regarding the EF versus PL. I think the actual cast work of the turrets may be unique to each type. The turret of the EF version has provision for the lens pin release button. It also has circuitry and a pin panel inside the mount for the electronic lens control. I could probably swap the PL-Mount and EF-Mount as I can make any necessary adaptors and spacers.

It looks like the EF-Mount is attached with four screws in the same style as the original BM4K EF camera and possibly is the same part. The PL-Mount is attached with six screws and might also be the same part as fitted to the BM4K camera. The silver coloured aluminium intermediate adaptor behind the lens mounts appear to be each different for the EF-Mount and PL-Mount turrets.

As to high framed rates, I understand the V2 can do higher frame rates. I would have to read the manual available on line at BM to know.

If your URSA Mini is the 4K version then its behaviour may be similar to the big URSA.

Battery endurance with the big URSA seems better than the SI2K which is basically a computer. I am using 230watt Rolux RL-230A Li-ion batteries which can be had in AB-Mount or Sony V-Mount styles. One saw me though the whole day when I was filming the Sail Training Ship Leeuwin II a fortnight ago. I was powering down often though. I don't see the point of deep-cycling the batteries if I can help it but I had forgotten to bring the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hart View Post
    Paul.

I am a fresh owner of the URSA camera. Previously and still, I have the SI2K, which I also did a Speedbooster hack on. That was easier because it was the complete BMPCC speedbooster with a home-made IMS-Mount on the back in place of the M4/3 mount.

So the size of the throat in the URSA Mini is smaller. I wonder if it shares the same smaller anti-reflection cone and IR filter of the BM4K.

Regarding the EF versus PL. I think the actual cast work of the turrets may be unique to each type. The turret of the EF version has provision for the lens pin release button. It also has circuitry and a pin panel inside the mount for the electronic lens control. I could probably swap the PL-Mount and EF-Mount as I can make any necessary adaptors and spacers.

It looks like the EF-Mount is attached with four screws in the same style as the original BM4K EF camera and possibly is the same part. The PL-Mount is attached with six screws and might also be the same part as fitted to the BM4K camera. The silver coloured aluminium intermediate adaptor behind the lens mounts appear to be each different for the EF-Mount and PL-Mount turrets.

As to high framed rates, I understand the V2 can do higher frame rates. I would have to read the manual available on line at BM to know.

If your URSA Mini is the 4K version then its behaviour may be similar to the big URSA.

Battery endurance with the big URSA seems better than the SI2K which is basically a computer. I am using 230watt Rolux RL-230A Li-ion batteries which can be had in AB-Mount or Sony V-Mount styles. One saw me though the whole day when I was filming the Sail Training Ship Leeuwin II a fortnight ago. I was powering down often though. I don't see the point of deep-cycling the batteries if I can help it but I had forgotten to bring the second one.

Hi, thanks for the answers.

After a bit of internet research, the new firmware of the URSA major 4k v2 allows 120 fps 4k and 150 fps 1080p windowed. Apparently you can swap a PL mount turret with and EF turret- have you seen any electronic connectors for this under your PL turret?

cheers paul
    Paul Ross Jones

-------------------------
    www.paulrossjones.com

Paul.

I have never taken the PL turret off the camera, one of those if it ain't broke don't fix it things. I understand that he camera body has non-functional buttons in the PL model, intended for the EF-Mount turret and become active with it installed. I imagine that there will be either an aligned plug/socket set on back of the EF turret matching another in the body like the Lemos on the SI2K Mini/camera body or a socket on each which connects via a ribbon cable.

The big URSA body seems to have incorporated quite a few of the good ideas from other camera products. The big screen is a blessing for people like me who have to swap eyeglasses around. The inbuilt mikes under the front seem to work well for what they are. I have yet to make a little muff pad for wind noise.

I particularly like how quiet it is
    Last edited by Robert Hart; 08-09-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Just a reminder, the lens mount and sensor are a single unit on the Ursa camera, the lens mount is Not a separate bit from the sensor, but rather a pre-aligned unit, with the sensor attached. All of,this p,its into the board and the sensor is seated in its heat sink with thermal paste.
    Cheers

I don't think any other camera than the UM46 Pro has electronic contacts for PL.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I don't think any other camera than the UM46 Pro has electronic contacts for PL.
    we are talking about the ursa 4k major, the big one. this has interchangeable currents between PL and ef.
    Paul Ross Jones

www.paulrossjones.com

Interchangeable mounts, yes. But I think no currents are flowing for PL.

The big URSA did not have an interchangeable mount system like the URSA Mini Pro but two entire sub-assemblies including sensor and electronics which they called "turrets". The EF-Mount turret is physically different. It has a space in it for the EF-Mount lock pin release button and a pass-through for the Canon lens electronics. The PL-Mount turret does not have them.

Exactly, that's what I wanted to say. Maybe it was a misunderstanding caused by the word 'current', like electric current. There are definitely no contacts for /i or similar technology on the PL mount for the big URSA, while on the UM46 Pro there are (and they work, transferring metadata to Resolve).

URSA_MOUNTS copy.jpg

I have read many times that the turret can be removed and either a EF or PL can be mounted. And apparently the camera is the same if purchased with either mounts. The only model of URSA major that is different is the one without a front- the one designed for a DSLR to be plonked on the front.

So there must be some electronic mount under the main turret thats held on by the 4 allen screws. Robert- you said you aunt removed this part, but the electric contacts must be under this- just not used for the PL. There is one in a local shop- but I am not sure if they will be keen for me to disassemble it!

heres another pic of the whole turret-

blackmagic-design-ursa-4k-v1-digital-cinema-camera-pl4-1000x1000-product_popup.jpg
    Attached Images
    Paul Ross Jones

www.paulrossjones.com