Thread: FCP X xml to Davinci Resolve on PC- Is it compatible?

1. #1 FCP X xml to Davinci Resolve on PC- Is it compatible? 
    I shot a short film for a director who is gonna edit on FCP X. I shot on my BMCC in RAW. He would like me to grade the footage. I use Davinci on PC. Does XML from FCP X work fine cross platforms so I can relink the raw files? I've never tried that before.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

XMLs just contains information on the cuts and effects used on clips, platform does not matter.

However, be aware that most transitions and effects will not translate into Resolve amd to remove them before exporting the xml from FCPX.

Quote Originally Posted by Asyndeton View Post
    XMLs just contains information on the cuts and effects used on clips, platform does not matter.

However, be aware that most transitions and effects will not translate into Resolve amd to remove them before exporting the xml from FCPX.
    Great. thanks for the info. Do you know a good high res codec that can be exported from from PC Davinci to give him back to go into FCP? DNxhr wont work.
    Darren Scott

I've used the old free dnxhd in the past with Mac editors no issue, just need them to install the drivers on their end. I've also used cineform in the same way. The DNXfree should be available on the Avid site.

I've done both Vegas > fcx.xml > resolve and prem. > fcx.xml > resolve. In both cases I've had issues with speed changes and reframing does not get passed. Fades and reversing is usually fine.

The key thing is that Resolve only looks at time code when it imports, so you need to go through the 'follow the bouncing triangle ' thing.

I had an issue a long time ago with FC not understanding the difference between 24 and 23.976, but that might have been FC7 not FCX.
    "Senior Member"???... Really???...
    Not to be taken seriously...by anyone.....

Thanks for the info guys. I'll try dnxhd. Only issue there is dnxhd doesn't do greater than 1080p. I'd love to deliver in 2k since i shot raw. I've also read there may be a gamma shift issue when imported to FCP. but I don't know I'll have to check it out.
    Darren Scott

If possible, it might make more sense to find a Mac and deliver in ProRes since he's editing in FCPX. (Haven't kept up with the latest on Windows and PR these days, but just saying.)

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll try dnxhd. Only issue there is dnxhd doesn't do greater than 1080p. I'd love to deliver in 2k since i shot raw. I've also read there may be a gamma shift issue when imported to FCP. but I don't know I'll have to check it out.
    DNXHR is what you want to use to deliver greater than 1080 resolution. DNxHR LB is proxy, SQ is similar to 422 and DNxHR HQ is similar to 422 HQ. Also, I've been having an issue with Quicktime wrapper DNxHR in Premiere for whatever reason lately, not sure about FCPX though. Use MXF OP1A as format for MXF wrapper. I assume that you're handing off proxies to the editor to round-trip to color off of the RAW files? If not, HQX 12-bit or 444 12-bit are good enough mastering codecs to finish color with.

My Mistake...it was user error for the in and out point issue. I had the delivery tab set to individual clips and not single. But the mp3 prob is there.
    Darren Scott