Thread: Zhiyun Crane V2 - BMPCC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Zhiyun Crane V2 - BMPCC 

Nice looking stuff!
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

That is some really unflattering compression though. You might want to try some different export settings.

We just got the Crane V2 last week. Great on the BMPCC, Panny G7, and GH5. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tolin View Post
    That is some really unflattering compression though. You might want to try some different export settings.
    I used the recommended settings for Handbrake. The file on my Mac is ok but Youtube seems to mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Webber View Post
    I used the recommended settings for Handbrake. The file on my Mac is ok but Youtube seems to mess it up.
    Don't upload a low data-rate file. Use the Handbrake renders for sending to people or for streaming ON a website.
    Upload a high data-rate master file so that YouTube has more to work with when it does its compression. Use high quality DNxHD or ProRes and go ahead and let the file be huge. Sure, it will take a bit longer to upload, but the results will be MUCH better.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Don't upload a low data-rate file. Use the Handbrake renders for sending to people or for streaming ON a website.
    Upload a high data-rate master file so that YouTube has more to work with when it does its compression. Use high quality DNxHD or ProRes and go ahead and let the file be huge. Sure, it will take a bit longer to upload, but the results will be MUCH better.
    Thanks for the advice. I just tried it with a Prores LT file and the resulting Youtube video looks the same to me. Looks much better on Vimeo.

Thanks for the advice. I just tried it with a Prores LT file and the resulting Youtube video looks the same to me. Looks much better on Vimeo.
    It doesn't. If anything it looks worse. I see way more compression artifacts. That's probably not because of Vimeo's compression but rather a sign that the file you uploaded was a low quality source.
    The video itself is great but at some point in your workflow the Blackmagic footage is knocked down to GoPro-level quality.

Use a higher bit-rate for your master. Like WAY higher. ProRes LT is still compressed down pretty significantly. I never use it for anything.

If you're using Premiere or Resolve as your NLE they are more than adequate for creating masters and have H264 pre-sets for exporting to Vimeo and Youtube. I think Premiere even has an option to upload directly to those platforms now. Look up the recommended bit-rates on each platform based on the resolution (anywhere between 16 to 20 Mbps is adequate for Vimeo at 1080, around 50 to 60 for UHD) of your final deliverable. The other option is ProRes 422 which will be a much larger, but H264 should be adequate enough in most cases.