Thread: BMMCC vs BMMSC

1. #1 BMMCC vs BMMSC 
    I have been searching the forum and can't find the answer to my questions regarding the image quality of the BMMCC vs BMMSC. The form factor is great on these, and it appears that BM made some improvements over the Pocket.

I will note that I purchased the BM Video Assist 4K on the summer special, which on the surface it seems that I should go with the Studio, however, there are things I wish to know.

(Apologies if some of these Qs are rudimentary. I am still learning about each of these cameras)

I am making short films and want my final product to be as cinematic as possible. Does the Studio camera also have Film Mode? If so, is it only when shooting HD, or is it available in 4K? or will shooting 4K in 24fps be enough for a film look?

I see that the Studio camera has 11 stops of dynamic range, as opposed to the 13 of the Cinema camera. Is that a serious downside to making the footage as filmic as possible?

Are there any other considerations to take in account that might make one choose one camera over the other?

thanks.

I would not get the studio camera if I were not working in a studio that needed hidden cameras. It's named studio because studios are usually very well lit with an overhead light grid and all the cameras are wired through some kind of recording hardware or a switcher for broadcasting. With that in mind, the lighting is all very consistent and therefore very little if any color correction is needed. It could have 9 stops and would still be fine. You will have some difficulty getting cinematic images with one of these cameras if you are not working with thousands of dollars of lighting equipment. There is no "film" mode.

You want the micro cinema camera, cinema camera, production camera, or ursa mini if you plan on getting singlecam style cinematic images.

This is my favorite review on the studio cam
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIo6t4DWYEk

If you want your footage to be as cinematic as possible concentrate first on composition and movement, then lighting, then the grade. The camera you choose is primarily about budget and workflow. Commercials for toothpaste, deodorant, and household cleansers are shot everyday on the Alexa, are they cinematic? Are romcoms cinematic? Why not? They for the most part are also shot on the Alexa.

Cinematic musings aside, the pros of the Micro 4k are;
    no moire and aliasing
    no fpn
    no noise
    better color (more accurate straight out)
    SDI camera control
    wysiwyg

Cons
    less DR probably ~2 stops less
    no internal recording
    no log
    no pwm control
    THE BIG ONE! the native ISO is less than 100

Having owned both the pocket and the M4K I'm happy to trade the moire, aliasing, jello for a couple stops of DR. What I do miss is the higher ISO of the cinema camera. The two systems are exposed kind of opposite, with the cinema cam you want to overexpose (shoot for 400 or ettr) to get away from the noise floor whereas on the M4k you want to underexpose to protect highlights, when you dig into the shadows on the M4k it's just black. You can still get clean images bumping up the gain but it will inhibit your ability to lift the blacks in post. Also you don't want to record the HDMI output of the M4k, it hard clips at 100ire whereas the SDI out doesn't clip until 109, the HDMI output lops about 1/2 stop right off the top.

I tested it out the m4k when I got it last summer and posted a few tests over here.
    http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...ght=deathmatch
    I've since used it on a few personal and professional productions and enjoy using it but it's not for everyone.

Good Luck

That pretty much sums it up. They are both wonderful cameras, but much for different use.

On Studio camera all the colour etc. corrections can be done in camera, it has really extensive control over SDI.

Of the PWM I would not worry too much, SBUS is much better anyway, and they both have it, but anyway it is only for the basic settings SDI provides much more.

The Cinema camera has only few colour profiles and not much adjustment on that area, but the idea is anyway to do the adjustment during editing and for that the wider dynamic range is much useful.
    LeViteZer Smooths the movement, www.levitezer.com

Worth clarifying that the 'film' setting on BMD cameras is designed to capture maximum DR and isn't a 'film look', as you might get with some LUTs or other software.