In my country they cost 80eur/day
    Whoooot?

You can almost buy a decent Hazer for that

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kam-KHM600-KH...3D192238476544

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Whoooot?

You can almost buy a decent Hazer for that

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kam-KHM600-KH...3D192238476544
    Thanks Frank. There's a guy in my town selling a 20eur hazer. I will check it out this weekend. Any particular thing I should be looking for? I will be trying it and judge with my eyes if it's what I need.

I use the propane bug foggers with mineral oil all the time for exterior shots. I don't think I'd want to use them inside though, the msds write up isn't great.
    I've bought a used fogger before...fire it up, and run some juice through it for a length of time to check that it actually works. Got bit hard since it worked for a short time, but than would shut off. FB_IMG_1500831776175.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    ...or just burn some tires
    Well THIS is why we can't have nice things!
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Fog and Haze are very different.

Fog is more useful when you want to see the actual billowing clouds. Car accident and you want to show the radiator leak ? FOG....Alien film with leaking pipes of steam...FOG

Haze can be more subtle. It can be used to give your scene some texture without looking like smoke. You can also fill a room and make it foggy too.

So I use fog when I want to see the clouds. If you use a lot of fog in a room and you leave it for a long time eventually it can settle into a kind of haze, but to me it always looks heavy AND i often can see billowing clouds in backlight. Fine if there's a reason for the fog, but not if you just want lighting texture. Or what I like to call atmosphere. It's thickening up the air so you can light it without looking like "smoke"

I've also been known to pick up the cushions from dressing just before a take and beat them up vigorously to get dust floating in the air too !

Nine times out of ten you want the hazer, not the fogger. And some foggers are naughty and say they're hazers when they aren't. Basically anything that needs to warm up is a fogger. If it makes atmosphere right away then it's a hazer.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by david evans View Post
    Thanks Frank. There's a guy in my town selling a 20eur hazer. I will check it out this weekend. Any particular thing I should be looking for? I will be trying it and judge with my eyes if it's what I need.
    As John said, there are many foggers that have a hazer sticker on them, but are actually just foggers with a fan.

What you want is something that shows a needle like nozzle, like the one in my ebay link.
    Just look at the form factor - anything that looks similar should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    And some foggers are naughty and say they're hazers when they aren't. Basically anything that needs to warm up is a fogger. If it makes atmosphere right away then it's a hazer.
    +1

Even good water based hazers. Recently had to use a water based hazer (popular Smoke Factory Tour Hazer II) to fill a whole supermarket and it basically looked like something nearby was slowly burning. Oil based haze is much finer, stable, constant, long hanging and better to control.

If you're shooting for several hours, and you need those shots to match in the final edit, bad haze, or even fog, will cause trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bergstrom View Post
    I use the propane bug foggers with mineral oil all the time for exterior shots. I don't think I'd want to use them inside though, the msds write up isn't great.
    Mineral oil through bug foggers is also an alternative method for honey farmers to kill bee mites (and they die within 2 minutes), you definately don't want to use that inside

Quote Originally Posted by stip View Post
    Mineral oil through bug foggers is also an alternative method for honey farmers to kill bee mites (and they die within 2 minutes), you definately don't want to use that inside
    Yikes!
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Guys, would this be a good choice? I ask this, because I'm thinking of ordering some more things from that site (like cinefoil) and shipping costs would be lighter...

https://www.thomann.de/pt/stairville...t_hazer_306309
    Last edited by david evans; 07-28-2017 at 11:16 AM.