Thread: smoke vs haze

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 smoke vs haze 
    Hey,

I wanted to use haze on my next short film to create mood in interior shots. In the rental companies next to me, it's much cheaper to rent smoke machine instead of a hazer. I know a hazer would get me what I want with greater ease, since the fog would just hang there and be nice and controllable, but smoke machines are much... much cheaper to rent.

I never worked with a smoke machine, can anyone tell me if they will work in interior shots to set a mood and diffuse light like a hazer would do? I don't mind having to re smoke before every take but the one corner I don't want to cut is the effect that I'm looking for.

Thanks guys

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HMA7OK...a-308882200683

Why rent when you can buy this for $50 plus a small propane cylinder. Don't use insect fog juice (obviously) but replace it with "Mineral Oil" it's super cheap. It will fog like crazy, I mean you can fog a room with two of three pumps. if you don't want to use the giant plastic container you can find a small Mason jar with the same debt as the spout that sucks up the liquid. It has the same threading as a mason jar.

You can get "haze" consistency with a lot of wafting with cardboard or something the like. The mineral oil stays in the air surprisingly long so you don't have to fog to much.

Be Warned: Fog will set off fire alarms really easy.

Wallly World has them in stock along with the mineral oil and propane tanks. Walk in with $70 bucks, walk out with a badass fogger.
    Last edited by Timothy Cook; 07-19-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Do smoke machines even exist anymore. The hazers I know of use fog juice (mineral oil, hate it), and foggers use the same stuff mixed with nitrogen/co2 to keep it cold and low lying. A party city hazer and a fan is more than adequate for any room. If you have an arena or outdoor shoot you may require something with more poop.

Good luck.

I hired a cheap smoke machine for a dance shoot in a theatre. It looked good, but even with lots of wafting, it produced visible plumes rather than an entirely diffused effect, which I think a hazer is designed for.

I have never typed the word 'plume' before, so thanks for helping that happen...

Don't use fog, you will never get the effect of a thick but invisible atmosphere which haze gives you.

It will only give you trouble on set and when editing (amount varies from shot to shot, you can see it moving in the air like someone smoking, impossible to dispense evenly on set during a scene), and it looks like an amateur music video.
    The best looking haze for film comes from oil based hazers, but that may leave residues on your set. Water based hazers aren't as fine and atmospheric and little less easy to dose, but can also look very good, depending on the quality of the hazer and fluid.
    There are very cheap water based hazers to buy (though they may only last a couple times, been there), that can get you there if budget is a limit.
    Water based hazers work by heating the fluid (oil based work with pressure) and cheap ones are prone to bite the dust early.
    If you don't need haze in large spaces like halls, but rather rooms, those small ones are more than enough for output.
    Maybe someone near you has one of those cheap hazers (musicians, solo entertainers?) and can lend you one.

I've also read couple of times about the insect fogger DIY thing for film that Timothy linked too above, but can't recall the reviews, you may look into that too.
    EDIT: ah, I remember one guy on cinematography.com reporting that his bug fogger caught fire after an hour of fogging mineral oil through it and stopped working after that, FWIW.
    Last edited by stip; 07-20-2017 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Cook View Post

Wallly World has them in stock along with the mineral oil and propane tanks. Walk in with $70 bucks, walk out with a badass fogger.
    I saw those little beasts putting out some massive amount of smoke, which would be great for outdoor use.
    Since insect foggers are practically unknown in Germany, I have no experience with them. What sort of mineral oil would you use? Like motor oil, or just petroleum?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    I saw those little beasts putting out some massive amount of smoke, which would be great for outdoor use.
    Since insect foggers are practically unknown in Germany, I have no experience with them. What sort of mineral oil would you use? Like motor oil, or just petroleum?

Yeah they put out a crazy amount of smoke. I wouldn't use motor oil, seems like that may be to thick and super messy. Mineral oil works best, you can find it in pharmacies around the world. Mineral oil is also whats used in normal foggers that use oil vs fog juice.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Mi...fl-oz/44807472

I've never had any problems with catching fire, I keep the flame on the lowest setting, which is more than enough. Getting the pipe to hot will darken your smoke. But i'm sure like anything improper use can lead to the device malfunctioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Cook View Post
    Getting the pipe to hot will darken your smoke. But i'm sure like anything improper use can lead to the device malfunctioning.
    Yikes, doesn't sound too good, I'd rather not have crew and actors breath this in.
    Remember there are guidelines for the use of theatrical smoke and haze, set for the sake of actors' health.
    Also, proper haze fluids are designed with regard to health safety and are generally harmless, inhaling mineral oil mist isn't the best of things as far as I know.

I have to breath this crap for hours a day and I'm f.f.f.f.f.fine. Kidding aside, the mineral oil haze in the appropriate device is perfectly safe. If multi platinum recording artists are OK with it, I'm pretty sure it's OK for us lowly techs. I would avoid home-brew diy solutions as they sound like a recipe for disaster. Protect your gear, anything with a fan will suck this stuff in and it can condense making a mess. I was working with one brand of projector that would have to be cleaned after about 15 shows because the juice would accumulate on the internal optical bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    I have to breath this crap for hours a day and I'm f.f.f.f.f.fine. Kidding aside, the mineral oil haze in the appropriate device is perfectly safe.
    haha. Yeah, as long as the mineral oil is spread in the air by pressure / a compressor, like oil based hazers do, it's no problem.

I'm really not so sure about burning it though