Thread: Can anyone find a Timelapse?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Can anyone find a Timelapse? 
    Senior Member Michael Sandiford's Avatar
    As in a complete, timelapse video, not a test made on a Blackmagic camera. I've been looking and finiding tests galore but no pure Blackmagic camera timelapse video anywhere. JUst wondering if I've missed any over the years. If there is none, then why? Anyway any help would be appreciated.

Michael, if I'm reading your post correctly, you're looking for a time-lapse shot with a Blackmagic camera which isn't a test but used as an actual production piece?

I shot a Hyperlapse (which is just a time-lapse with motion) for a bike race promo and I used the bmpcc. https://vimeo.com/122818951

Hope this helps.

I also used those shots in one of my "Cycling Events" production reel. https://vimeo.com/159726487

Cheers Tim, yeah kinda does help as it shows it being used in a professional piece (Also interested in how you did the hyperlapse side of things without the control of a DSLR) Mostly though what I'm after is a vid of just timelapse. various shots all put together for one video. I know there isn't the control but it's something I'm wondering if anyones done as I'm thinking of trying one over the course of the next year and I was wondering would it be worth it on my old trusty 2.5K

Shot on pocket 2 years ago
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb8nG-G-df8
    Pocket was the only camera I had, but to be true, of course I would choose a photo camera for this type of work instead if I had one. Because the resolution is much better on them.

DSLRs are the only way to go for timelapses. So much more flexibility...most importantly the shutter control, which will provide you results the Blackmagics cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by Truemotion View Post
    Pocket was the only camera I had, but to be true, of course I would choose a photo camera for this type of work instead if I had one. Because the resolution is much better on them.
    That's pretty darn NICE!
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Excellent, this is the type of stuff I was after. Any general advice you can give?

For a "Instagram Promo" time limit (15 sec two years ago) and lack of people clicking on the sound, I found, for me, that a timelapse or hyperlapse helps keep viewers engaged for the full length of the video.
    It's really cool seeing you use a HL in a full commercial format and it's well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sandiford View Post
    Cheers Tim, yeah kinda does help as it shows it being used in a professional piece (Also interested in how you did the hyperlapse side of things without the control of a DSLR)

With a hyperlapse or timelapse, using a camera like the Pocket works great because of it's ability to shoot every aspect with full manual controls. With a dslr you need to switch everything to manual or you will have frame that differ from each other.

How I use the Pocket. I picked the object that I was going to track while moving my camera, set the BMPCC to trigger every 5 sec (this allowed me to press the rec and one frame would fire and then press again to turn off the timelapse), I moved my camera one shoe (my exact measuring device lol), refocused on my target, rinse and repeat. For processing the images, there are tons of hyper lapse tutorials on the web.

If you've ever done timelapse with a DSLR or a Red, it's the same in principal. In fact I stopped using my DSLR for timelapse and moved purely to my 2.5k when doing anything other than star-lapses. The best part about using a BMD camera is keeping the raw workflow and being able to pop it straight into your NLE. The downside of the BMD cameras is their battery needs. Some times it is faster, or lighter, or easier to pop a dslr with an internal battery off in the corner and let it shoot for a few hours on a single battery.

i included some time lapse in my storm video.. i was driving home and saw beautiful clouds rolling.. so i got the camera before the storm hit bad in our area..

Ursa mini 4.6k with sigma 18-35mm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xARBmkxBguU
    Last edited by NVisionFilms; 07-17-2017 at 12:27 PM.