Thread: Need advice with RAW workflow

1. #1 Need advice with RAW workflow 
    Hey Everybody,

I'm about at my wits end with my RAW workflow. Really, it's not a workflow. I'm bandaiding for some kind of resolve/premiere/GPU/PSU issue I'm encountering. This all started with Resolve 12.5. I pulled in my 3:1 RAW footage and began coloring it. While coloring, the machine would randomly shut down. No notice. No warnings. No components overheating. I'm well within my bounds of my components. However, I couldn't get very far without the machine failing while coloring/editing. I had to save between every change in fear of losing work. I got the coloring done and tried to export my footage to a usable format for Premiere Pro editing. Before anyone tells me to use Resolve for editing, it's just not going to work for me. I use a lot of plugins and 3rd party tools that I just don't have available in Resolve. I'm sure it's fine for simple edits. Just not my projects. No matter what I would do, my exports would fail. Couldn't export 4K. Couldn't export HD. I honestly needed as close to original quality as my inputs, but I couldn't get a job to finish without generic errors.

I shelved the project and worked on some prores footage from the same UMP camera. Worked great. Never had an issue. Did everything in PProCC. Now I'm back to this project which has deadlines and I cannot win. Constant shut offs. Inability to export. I updated to Resolve 14. No change in behavior.

I eventually gave in and purchased a SlimRAW license so I could convert my lossy raw files to a lossless raw for compatibility in PProCC. While trying to ingest the footage, my computer will shut off. I can barely work with this footage. Just doesn't make sense. I've stress tested the GPU quite a bit and never have shut downs or problems. I would blame the PSU, but the computer ran fine for a week straight in a non-RAW workflow. I'm beyond frustrated.

As a last ditch effort, I'm seeing if any of you have encountered any of these issues. Any insight or lessons learned I can go on?

Specs:
    I7 6700K
    32 GB RAM
    Samsung 850 EVO SSD drives
    GTX970

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!
    Ursa Mini Pro - "Sulley"
    Sigma Art/Canon FD

I know full well this might not help but have you thought about editing first and then doing the color correction? That is the normal process. Also creating proxies for your edit will at least speed up the edit.

Could be some software conflict or a registry issue with your operating system. As a last ditch effort have you tried a fresh install of your OS, resolve, premier etc and go from there?

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    Could be some software conflict or a registry issue with your operating system. As a last ditch effort have you tried a fresh install of your OS, resolve, premier etc and go from there?
    I suspect something along these lines as well.
    Abruptly shutting ALL the way down like that signals something deeper than just bogging down your system because we all know the familiar telltale symptoms and warnings when that is happening.

I do NOT want to be that guy that rubs salt in your wounds, but this is a good reason for always having your main system drive not only backed up, but cloned as well so that things like this stay both isolated and quickly remedied WHEN (not IF) they pop up.

Please update this thread when you find your solution!
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

If you are reasonably sure you don't have a GPU issue, check your RAM (MemTest86 should do).

Okay, guys. Update time. I believe my issue has been resolved. Long story short, a PSU swap fixed it.

I ruled out every component that I could in the process. GPU stress tests came back fine, memtests would come back fine after many passes, machine would stay on and voltages were nominal. It just didn't make sense. I did get to a point where I could reproduce the issue very easily.

1. Open Premiere Pro and add a sequence with one 4K clip (mine was a CinemaDNG raw).
    2. Attempt to move position of the frame around with the mouse (drag and drop framing).
    3. Computer would shutdown and restart.

I'm only logging all of this so that if anyone runs into an issue, they can try looking into the PSU. The problem here is that the PSU looked like it was working fine. The computer would stay on and function, but as soon as I tried editing it would randomly shut off. Hardware swap proved to resolve the issue even when it didn't seem like the PSU. I hope this helps someone else in the future.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!
    Ursa Mini Pro - "Sulley"
    Sigma Art/Canon FD