Thread: Best 25mm lens for S16 Pocket

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Best 25mm lens for S16 Pocket 
    Hi guys,
    I will shoot a short film using only one focal length.
    in these years I've shot on angenieux and sigma zoom lenses for my paid works, mainly commercial, however, for this project I would like to shoot everything on my favourite focal length, 25mm lens on a BMPCC/BMMCC(70 eq.), exactly like Robert Bresson who shot entire films with only a 50mm lens (about 75 eq on a 35mm format).

I usually rent lenses, however for this project I would prefer to buy and keep with me a good 25mm to carry on everywhere like a baby.

I'm thinking of a Super Speed Mark I or a Nokton, I have good experience with these two lenses, but someone has told me that Veydra lenses are very similar to Speed Mark I too...what's your choice among these lenses:

- Zeiss Distagon Super Speed Mark I

- Nokton 25mm 0.95

- SLR Magic 25mm 0.95

- Veydra 25mm

- Optar illlumina 25mm
    Last edited by alex.stefani; 07-13-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Zeiss SS Mk1 hands down

I have a Voigtlander 25mm for my BMPCC (which I'm selling btw in case you're looking for a used one). I love it but since I'm getting an Ursa Mini 4.6k I need a lens with a bigger image frame. Another idea to consider is a vintage lens with a speed booster. I just bought a Contax Zeiss 28mm f2 on ebay and tried it yesterday on my BMPCC, it's really nice.

I have both the Veydra and Optar Illumina 25mm Lens, they are very close, the Veydra's are more like the newer Zeiss Super Speeds, not the Mk1, which I would avoid, as the are not repairable any more due to a lack of parts, and most Mk1s suffer from focus helix wear.

That said, you can add the Panasonic Leica 25mm lensbto your list, smaller, more compact for quick shots, and a very nice IQ.

However, if you want the same FOV Bresson got with a 50mm on a Std Cinema 35mm format, you are going to need a 28mm lens.
    A Zeiss Contax 25mm f/2.0 or the newer Zeiss ZF 28mm f/2.0'are magical, great Cinema IQ lens, that will add more of the 3D look Bresson was getting with his 50mm, or yes the 50mm with a BMPCC Speed Booster (50mm x .58=29mm). Either way will get you his special look.

I use my Zeiss ZF 28mm when I want this Bresson type look/perspective.

If you decide to go for the Veydra 25mm, PM me, I have a NIB lens for sale below MSR.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 07-15-2017 at 12:51 AM.

I got a are Angenieux M2 25mm 0.95 lens, now that one is my favorite.

I haven't tried any of the others, but I really did like my Veydra set when I had a BMCC. These were both the 25mm I believe.

Aaron Lochert

I'd go for the SLR Magic. It's super fast if necessary, manual, and already MFT. I think it's a nicer lens (sharper wide open, better bokeh) than the Voigtlander at 25mm but I think the Voight 17.5 is a little better than the SLR Magic @ 17mm.

PL/Arri mount is a can of worms that's probably not worth it for one lens. For the price of a Zeiss 25mm in ready to shoot condition and an adapter you can have a whole set of SLR Magic lenses that are better in just about anything except name.

Thank you very much for your answers, guys! Long life with bmcuser!

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post

if you want the same FOV Bresson got with a 50mm on a Std Cinema 35mm format, you are going to need a 28mm lens.
    A Zeiss Contax 25mm f/2.0 or the newer Zeiss ZF 28mm f/2.0'are magical, great Cinema IQ lens, that will add more of the 3D look Bresson was getting with his 50mm, or yes the 50mm with a BMPCC Speed Booster (50mm x .58=29mm). Either way will get you his special look.
    I use my Zeiss ZF 28mm when I want this Bresson type look/perspective.
    Denny, you are absolute right: the closest focal length for a 50mm on Academy 35mm Widescreen (Une femme douce, L'Argent, Mouchette, Au hasard Balthazar...) is a 28mm on the BMPCC. You have just remembered me that I should have somewhere in my father' s collection the old SMC Pentax 28mm 1:2 based on the Zeiss Hollywood design...I will find it and try a couple of shots with it, absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    I haven't tried any of the others, but I really did like my Veydra set when I had a BMCC. These were both the 25mm I believe.

Great shots!
    Last edited by alex.stefani; 07-17-2017 at 12:05 PM.

I have the Zeiss Contax 28mm f2,8 MM. Pretty awesome lens. But it is a love hate with it. I love what it captures, but I hate the weight with the speedbooster. But with the wight comes stability and a full manual lens. I do have the leitax nikon mount and it's de-clicked. The lens it competes with is the panny 12-35, which really isn't a fair comparison.

I'd second the veydras since they are MFT. I tried to find some real SSpeeds but never followed through.

I also have the Zeiss contax 28mm f2 hollywood but something I don't use it much.
    Jim
    Last edited by gj91; 07-18-2017 at 02:04 PM.