Thread: Copying Lubezki - tell me what I am doing wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Copying Lubezki - tell me what I am doing wrong. 
    Hey people,

I tried to light my first dinning table scene and took this still from Tree of Life as a reference. Though my levels are mostly there, it still feels of.
    Talking mainly exposure, color is a whole other story. Though I have really really grown to love the BMPCC. Great color.

Please point me in the right directions.
    I feel like to top source is not soft enough?

The fill looks right on the false color, but seems still to dark to me in comparison to the original. But that might thats appear like that due to the lack of softness?

Thanks!
    Attached Images

Totally different lights.

You reference uses a huge soft source (probably some sort of Chimera pancake).

Your highlights are way to hot, and the lights are to hard.

Also: I would say the practical light in your scene ruin the rest of the picture. And the clothings doesnt correspond well to the colour of the wall. Then rather keep the background dark.

As said the lighting is too hard but also look at the frame composition as well. The depth of the image with highlights in the background paired with set dec ( the cup reflections mainly) really set that scene apart from that flat wall behind the actor and mug/lens blower on the table.

To control a large, soft source like that and keep it off the wall you would really need some sort of grid in front of the diffusion. Without it, larger sources like that would spill everywhere.

I had a situation like this recently. I used an Aputure 120t with a light dome, hanging above the table. It looks very nice and soft.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...EG&sku=1287574

If the ceilings are lower it will be difficult to use the Lightdome, but you could put some Wescott Flex Light Mat on the ceiling with diffusion hanging underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronChicago View Post
    I had a situation like this recently. I used an Aputure 120t with a light dome, hanging above the table. It looks very nice and soft.

If the ceilings are lower it will be difficult to use the Lightdome, but you could put some Wescott Flex Light Mat on the ceiling with diffusion hanging underneath.
    +1

ceiling are a very good solution

Lighting looks similar enough. I mean, being 80% or 100% there won't make a huge difference when we're talking about this style of lighting. Just watch those hot reds.
    Your real problem, as Jalokin and Jay touched on, is the set and composition. The Lubezki frame is shot on a much longer lens, with a multi plane background. Even the blue and golden cup in the frame is there to guide our eyes and color how we perceive the overall look. Your image is visually uninteresting - That's what makes it feel "off".
    Last edited by Tolin; 11-11-2017 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Totally different lights.

You reference uses a huge soft source (probably some sort of Chimera pancake).

Your highlights are way to hot, and the lights are to hard.
    I am actually using a homemade Pancake, but I agree, it's not soft enough. Also I find those highlights in faces really hard to get rid of. Bigger source and makeup?

Quote Originally Posted by jalokin98 View Post
    Also: I would say the practical light in your scene ruin the rest of the picture. And the clothings doesnt correspond well to the colour of the wall. Then rather keep the background dark.
    yes, the practical was a shit idea. Totally shitty...

Quote Originally Posted by AaronChicago View Post

Litemats are a great option. 4x4 frame with mats and duvetyne around should be great.

Below is the source I used. I diffused it one more time at the day. Still not soft enough.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Rotbart; 07-14-2017 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolin View Post
    Lighting looks similar enough. I mean, being 80% or 100% there won't make a huge difference when we're talking about this style of lighting. Just watch those hot reds.
    You're real problem, as Jalokin and Jay touched on, is the set and composition. The Lubezki frame is shot on a much longer lens, with a multi plane background. Even the blue and golden cup in the frame is there to guide our eyes and color how we perceive the overall look. Your image is visually uninteresting - That's what makes it feel "off".
    You are right. I will need to get my frame game up.