Thread: Bmpcc dead pixel help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Bmpcc dead pixel help 
    So I bought a used bmpcc on ebay, it mentioned having one bad pixel on the lcd but not the sensor. It arrived and it had that one pixel, nothing showed on footage. I turned it on today and it had a TON of dead pixels, mostly green and red colored. Turned it off and back on again about 20 min later and now it has less but still quite a few. Nothing is showing up in my footage but honestly just want to know how big a issue this is and if this is the start of possible sensor issues?

If it is only on the camera LCD, and nothing shows up in the footage on your computer, then the sensor is fine. And your sensor sounds a lot better than my pocket that I purchased new (it has always had a number of dead pixels on the sensor). What you are experiencing sounds like an issue exclusively with the screen.

Had this exact problem with my pocket. Was a little line of dead pixels in the LCD only that would occasionally shift places) get better or worse. I had to RMA it, was a bit of trouble but they RMA depending on just how many 'dead pixels' there are. But mine was that exact issue where sometimes they would just come good again. I'd say give them a call and plead your case, see if they can help.

The only thing that worried me was that I thought it might be something more sinister since the dead areas would change but they never told me what was wrong. Might've just been a loose cable.

I've had dead pixels in the sensor that showed up on the material I filmed.

Black Magic sort of doesn't want to deal with such piddling issues. But yeah I would press the issue if it turns up on footage. Which I may do. The monitor is sort of a none issue unless the camera is brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter917 View Post
    So I bought a used bmpcc on ebay, it mentioned having one bad pixel on the lcd but not the sensor. It arrived and it had that one pixel, nothing showed on footage. I turned it on today and it had a TON of dead pixels, mostly green and red colored. Turned it off and back on again about 20 min later and now it has less but still quite a few. Nothing is showing up in my footage but honestly just want to know how big a issue this is and if this is the start of possible sensor issues?
    If nothing is on the footage then it's not much of an issue. As long as it doesn't interfere with anything I wouldn't worry too much.

I had a dead pixel on my footage, and I just blurred the surrounding pixels by 1 in post which fixed it. When I last updated the BMPCC firmware the dead pixel went away, and I haven't had the issue since.

okay, i emailed blackmagic. Since this is probably not under warrenty any idea how much to fix this?

Did you update the firmware before seeing that problem? It happened to some people after updating and went away on the next boot.

Regarding dead sensor pixels: DR 14 has a filter for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Did you update the firmware before seeing that problem? It happened to some people after updating and went away on the next boot.

Regarding dead sensor pixels: DR 14 has a filter for this.
    I haven't tried DV 14 yet. Do you know what this filter is called? Would it work for hot pixels?

To the OP. Since there are varying QC issues with BM cameras, I would not be surprised many cameras on the used market are sold because of some kind of issue. It took me three tries to finally find a BMPCC that didn't have any issues. Kinda one of the reasons, I keep holding onto it.

If it's just a replacement LCD screen I remember seeing a thread being quoted somewhere around 140 dollars.

Also depending on your region it might be better to call them, sometimes they just never respond to emails/ support tickets.

The Dead Pixel Fixer should handle hot ones too.