Thread: Canon FDs (RPLens)

1. #1 Canon FDs (RPLens) 
    I'm thinking about starting up a small set of Canon FDs. Has anyone here had any experiences using them on Blackmagic cameras? I'm just wondering how they behave and if anyone thinks they're worth the investment. I'll be getting them through RPLens. Thanks!

I like them. Had the 20mm f2.8, the 28mm f2.0 and the 50mm f1.4. Solid but light, good focus throw. Not perfect wide open but not terrible.

You can get them way cheaper if you have the time and patience to go online.

very good lens especially with a Metabones reducer...you can get them for cheap on ebay, just ask for the condition of the glass..my favourite are the 17mm and the 35mm. They have better color than most other cheap lenses, however I think that rokinon are a better choice for versatility, definition and comfort...

Thanks everyone. I'm mainly looking for something that isn't overly sharp like the Sigma 18-35 that also has some character. The FDs with an added EF mount just makes it easier to use on what I own now as well as pretty much anything I use in the future. The Rokinons to me feel too neutral to be worth it and I've heard some not so super things about them mechanically (Possibly just bad copies). I honestly don't know much about the FD line or what to look for so ordering through RP Lens means I know I'm getting a good copy as well as all the extras I would already want done (Cinevised).

Glad to hear the 17mm and 35mm are nice. They're on the list for sure!

I would suggest looking at getting a set of Minoltas for cheap versus Canon FDs. They look much better.

Not sure, but it looks like they are using adapters with extra glass to compensate, Canon FDs aren't that simple to modify to EF. If that's the case, it's far from ideal.

I have a Canon 50mm 1.4 FD which was adapted by a guy calling himself the lens doctor. Check him online - based in Scotland and sells on eBay uk. He puts an EF mount on the back and de-clicks the aperture ring. Mine was 150, so rather cheaper than your link, although perhaps the work isn't as tidy. Nice lens.

Quote Originally Posted by froess View Post
    You can get them way cheaper if you have the time and patience to go online.
    It's not really that simple.

There are three options to using Canon FD on EF mount:

1. Use a passive/dumb adaptor - this increases the flange distance, lens is only usable for macro (especially wide lenses) and won't reach infinity. Some lenses may only focus maximum of 1 metre.
    2. Use a passive adaptor with optics - the optics (approx 1.1x) correct for increase flange distance, which increases effective focal length of the lenses, can introduce softness, reduces light transmission (-1 f-stop) and is only recommended for tele (35mm+) lenses.
    3. Replace the FD mount on the lens with an EF mount - expensive, and currently needs to be done by a lens shop (I'm not aware of any user serviceable part you can buy to do this).

However, if you're using the FD lens on a mount with a shorter flange distance (Sony E, M4/3, Fuji-X, Canon M etc) a simple passive/dumb adaptor will do just fine. You can also get a Metabones Speedbooster with Canon FD to M4/3 which will work on any of the BM cameras with M4/3 mount - probably a great option, but also may be expensive (but cheaper than remounting all your FD glass, especially if you have a big collection).

You could also look at getting the lens rehoused, but this is also may be very expensive and can run into the thousands.

Here is the guy I mentioned...

http://www.thelensdoctor.co.uk/page11.html

I sense that he over-talks his work a little, especially the 'Fluid Variable Aperture system' ('de-licking' to the rest of us - works fine on my lens, but doesn't feel especially fluid). But it looks to be a good service and he sells various lenses already converted.
    Last edited by Ben; 07-09-2017 at 02:54 AM.