Thread: Red announced today "THE WORLD’S FIRST HOLOGRAPHIC MEDIA MACHINE. IN YOUR POCKET.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    But for people already in the RED workflow, I could see it being a very useful tool and finding its niche.
    But like: how many IS that? I don't doubt there are thousands of red users out there, but at a thousand dollar price point, how is this a reasonable strategy unless they think they can compete with a market that's already crowded with APPLE AND GOOGLE among others? Seems absurd. The Red crowd is eating it up (over at red user they seem to believe this will bring down google as a company, somehow.)

My guess is this is kind of a loss leader on some new cam tech red has brewing. Push hard into 3d space, but first create the 'market' for it. I don't see it working all that well, per se, but that's my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Pretty sure it replaces the iPhone, as the standard accessory in the industry though.

Now it's: "If you don't have a Red phone, you don't have a Red phone"
    That's never going to happen. Apple is a rock solid company that delivers, and Red is a very unreliable company, especially when it comes to more mainstream products. Like '3k for 3k' or 'Red Raven', where Red functions more like a Ponzi Scheme. Tens of thousands of customers each hand over thousands of dollars to Red only to be told a year or so later "Whoops, our bad! Here's a slight discount on our far more expensive products."
    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 07-06-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Jim Jannard just posted this:

1. You will need more pieces of the HYDROGEN system to shoot 4-View holography.
    2. The HYDROGEN display is NOT lenticular... which we deem "not good". (See my post HYDROGEN... added color)
    3. Holography covers a lot of territory, from holograms on credit cards to Princess Leia. We have multi-view holography (4-View) with look-around.

I promise that we will release more info as time goes on. We will also be showing the image on working prototypes starting now. My fear is that people guessing and posting will turn into perceived facts that are inaccurate.

Hold tight. We are doing our best.

Jim
    Last edited by podio; 07-06-2017 at 05:15 PM.

More from Jim Jannard:

The Holographic Display.
    It is incredible. It is multi-view (4-view) as compared to stereo 3D (2-view). Watching shocked faces light up when people see it is really motivating. There is no good way to describe it until you see it. Hopefully we will get some skeptics eyes on it soon… then they can tell you.

Our display is technology you haven’t seen before. It is not lenticular, which is inferior tech in every way, has been tried many times before and failed for good reason. (see Amazon 3D Fire, LG Optimus, etc). Lenticular display dramatically lowers resolution, cannot be turned off for standard 2D content, only works in one direction (usually landscape), has color crosstalk… to name just a few issues. My bet is that other “big” companies will try to re-package lenticular 3D displays with eye-tracking in response to our program. Don’t fall for it.

Why did some Redusers blindly order HYDROGEN today without even reading the release? This seems incredible to those unfamiliar with the RED program. Over the past 10 years RED has gone from scam (announcing the impossible) to delivering the impossible… over and over. Our core customers have seen and participated in this process and have stories to tell. Apparently we have earned their “blind trust” because we have not let them down. We understand that those unfamiliar with our history will certainly not get this.

Some additional details. One website said it was unclear whether HYDROGEN came with a battery. Let me assure you that it does. :-)

It also comes with internal storage and an external micro SD card slot. And a headphone jack. A selfie camera and a back camera. These cameras will not produce cinema quality images. No cell phone does. What we will have is a modular system that adds image quality well beyond any other camera short of our professional cameras. Remember that we have a lot of elbow room on this front. Our Weapon Helium sensor scored 108 on DXOMark.com That beat the Sony A7RII by 10 full points.

https://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/RED-...me-high-score2

So why do we feel we can make a difference in the cell phone market? Because we are doing everything different and (we feel) better. That is the only way to enter a market. That was the thinking behind Oakley. It was the thinking when we released the RED ONE. Same formula. Make something significantly better and you have a reason to be.

We look forward to releasing many more details and specs about the project as time goes along. Anytime you don’t like what you see, full refund for any reason spoken here. However… be prepared to be surprised on the upside. It only gets better the more information you have.

Today we saw the full range from “complete trust” to “hard skepticism”. I have seen this before… many times actually. Makes me smile.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by MelbFilm View Post
    I have it on pretty good authority that it is going to be a hover board.
    You were right after all!

Quote Originally Posted by podio View Post
    More from Jim Jannard:

It was the thinking when we released the RED ONE. Same formula.

Jim
    So it's going to sound like an industrial fridge before overheating and toasting all your footage?

Quote Originally Posted by FoldableHuman View Post
    So it's going to sound like an industrial fridge before overheating and toasting all your footage?
    It's not like RED needs me to defend them, but here goes anyway.

RED ONE has flaws. But, you have to keep it in perspective. We're talking 10 years. And for some reason, I never had a lot of the problems with overheating and such that others may have. But I can tell you that camera changed my career. Besides the income it generated, it opened doors that would have been very difficult to open other wise. So, while some may dismiss RED based on various reasons (some which may be legit gripes) I have to say that they do deserve some credit for pushing through the skepticism and now considered top 2 or 3 cinema camera companies in the world.

I know people will use the 3K for $3K and RED RAY and the Laser Projector as examples of products that never really materialized the way they intended. But it's also hard to ignore some of the successes. I do wish they released more information about Hydrogen. I think for those outside the RED universe, this announcement probably hasn't had a massive impact because of the lack of videos, and detailed specs. I get that. But for those who have been impacted in a positive way by RED products in the past, that's where some of that blind trust comes from.

Is it possible this new product fails to hit the mark with consumers? Sure. But I'm glad RED is trying to innovate. Even if they fall short, the fact they are pushing hard is a good thing. I guess we won't know how smart this investment is until sometime in late 2018. But if it takes off, the early adopters will probably benefit. If not, the skeptics can have their day in the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesherrick View Post
    I know people will use the 3K for $3K and RED RAY and the Laser Projector as examples of products that never really materialized the way they intended. But it's also hard to ignore some of the successes. I do wish they released more information about Hydrogen. I think for those outside the RED universe, this announcement probably hasn't had a massive impact because of the lack of videos, and detailed specs. I get that. But for those who have been impacted in a positive way by RED products in the past, that's where some of that blind trust comes from.
    It is hard to ignore their successes, but their successes should be kept in the context of the fact that they have a objectively rocky history, and a downright abysmal one when it comes to side-products. I think the RED RAY and Laser Projector are exactly the things that should be front and centre in peoples' minds with the HYDROGEN b/c it's a lot closer to those than it is to the SCARLET.

Quote Originally Posted by FoldableHuman View Post
    It is hard to ignore their successes, but their successes should be kept in the context of the fact that they have a objectively rocky history, and a downright abysmal one when it comes to side-products. I think the RED RAY and Laser Projector are exactly the things that should be front and centre in peoples' minds with the HYDROGEN b/c it's a lot closer to those than it is to the SCARLET.
    You might be right. However, I'm starting to get the impression that these modules that are going to attach might have some pretty decent image gathering capabilities on their own. And where cameras are getting smaller, modular, etc perhaps there is some value in not only the holographic/3D side of things but also in general image capture terms.