Thread: DAR with Wireless Remote

1. #1 DAR with Wireless Remote 
    The search terms make this difficult to find. Is anyone aware of a Digital Audio Recorder that comes with or can work with a wireless remote?

Right now I've got an audio op hooking up a Zoom H4n at the DJ booth during wedding receptions. He starts and stops the Zoom as needed. But if I could find a way to start and stop that recorder wirelessly, from the camera, he'd be freed up to run the second camera.

A wireless remote for the Zoom would be perfect, but if that's just not possible, then in there any other model of DAR which can simultaneously record both nat sound and a board feed and be started and stopped wirelessly?

You could go with a PixE and use the record trigger to start/stop recording. Add the LR unit, and you have a 4-track audio recorder in addition to a backup vide track, all nicely sync'd together.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
    A wireless remote for the Zoom would be perfect, but if that's just not possible, then in there any other model of DAR which can simultaneously record both nat sound and a board feed and be started and stopped wirelessly?
    The tascam dr-40 and the tascam rc-10 wired/wireless remote. It's line of sight, so it's best to mount it on a stand near the DJ's booth about 10 feet in the air, and keep the distance between the remote and recorder <50 feet for consistent results. Usually, the folks giving toasts stand right in front of the band / DJ booth, so give the remote to the camera person that is shooting them for a direct line of sight to the recorder.

If floor space is limited around the booth, mount the recorder onto a gorillapod or a matthelini clamp and affix that to the pole of a speaker. Mount the recorder so the x/y capsules are not directly under the speaker's subwoofer to avoid clipping. If there's a band, simply turn the recorder towards them for decent stereo ambiance that can be mixed with the board in post. Two birds, one stone.

Make sure to discuss your needs with the DJ / sound engineer BEFORE mounting anything to their speaker stands.
    Last edited by FUEGO; 07-03-2017 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
    It's line of sight

Oooh, that just won't be practical I'm afraid. Thank you for trying, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    You could go with a PixE
    Definitely out of my price range for this purpose. (This device offers wireless start/stop?)

For the small amount of data it uses just roll the audio all night, if there is time of day in the metadata it shouldn't be hard to pull what you need in post. I wouldn't trust any type of remote without some kind of feedback that it is actually recording.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    For the small amount of data it uses just roll the audio all night
    That makes editing more difficult. I'm really looking to match one clip of audio per video.

I wouldn't trust any type of remote without some kind of feedback that it is actually recording.
    That would be a requirement of the wireless remote, yes. The Zoom wired remote I purchased has such feedback. I just can't drag that cable with me all over the dance floor.

Tascam DR-44wl and DR22-wl work with an app on your phone. I agree with the earlier comment though just let it run. Plural Eyes will handle it. It might take 3 minutes to clear the extra audio once it is in the timeline. Also you can always cover good audio with b-roll if you weren't rolling video in time but if you forget to roll audio or don't catch the beginning of something it never really works like the reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by kgimedia View Post
    Tascam DR-44wl and DR22-wl work with an app on your phone.
    I've a Windows phone.

But even with Andriod or iPhone, it's not very practical attaching that to my BMPCC cage.

Thank you for trying, though.