Thread: Is Mini Pro 4.6k worth the money over regular Mini 4.6k?

1. #1 Is Mini Pro 4.6k worth the money over regular Mini 4.6k? 
    I saw a thread discussing this earlier but can't find it now. The UM 4.6k is basically $1400 less than the Pro on Amazon for example, plus buying a Pl or EF mount for the Pro for an extra couple hundred bucks.

Is the pro worth it or should I get the regular mini 4.6k, same sensor, and put that money into lenses. I already have NDs so built in ND doesn't matter too much. Interchangeable mounts I can live without too. Am I missing something?

No, if you are looking for a more Cinema type shooting camera experience, than I would get the Ursa Mini PL (or EF, if,yiumhave and used a EF lenses). With the PL mount, you can use the savings to get the SLR Magic APO,PL,prime lenses that are now available. The Pro is an ENG type camera workflow, has dedicated switches for some settings along with the built-in ND filters and interchangeable mounts.
    Cheers

I got it during the bundle deal and ended up making my money back by selling the cams I didn't need. Otherwise, I wasn't planning on buying it.

However, now having used the Ursa Mini Pro on a number of shoots including an indie feature, I was very happy to have the Pro's features. The external controls were critical to quickly getting shots when needed, as were the internal NDs when it came to outdoor scenes. The feature had a VERY tight schedule, so in that situation, those conveniences that seem minor were a huge help.

I also ALMOST renting PL glass, but they luckily had the lens I wanted with an EF mount. Otherwise, having the option to switch to PL=another big plus.

I wouldn't blame you for waiting, though. In terms of the image, it's really not that much different. Pretty sure on paper, it's the same, but the Pro had its own pros and cons (mine has almost no magenta vignette, but it did have that rainbow flare issue, of course).

Hah, Just wondering the same thing myself. The Pro model is so much more expensive here.

Well it saves so much time, so it depends. The internal IR and ND filters are a godsend for me. And the improved buttons are also handy (hopefully soon with a firmware update there will be remappable buttons that would be awesome). The SD's are also handy for me.
    For example changing the aperture button to "2x zoom" (shoot manual lenses anyway), so I can check focus gun and run real fast.

So for me it was worth the money, and I am just a hobbyist . So if you are doing videos for a living, it would pay itself off really fast.

The Pro has several desirable features, but the original Mini is very capable too as long as you can access the menus. If you go with the Mini 4.6K instead of the Pro, many setting changes can still be made via the touch screen without going into the menus. And for the most frequently changed settings that require use if the settings, I try to leave those settings as first to appear when I select a given menu tab, so it can be two or three clicks away at most. Also if you're using the BMVF, there's three programmable buttoned there to help with some of your most important setting changes.