Thread: Hoya PROND filters replaced by Hoya SOLAS IRND?

1. #1 Hoya PROND filters replaced by Hoya SOLAS IRND? 
    I was looking to pick up a 2nd set of Hoya ProND filters, and I noticed B&H is gradually removing the ProND series from the site and listing them as discontinued. They point towards the new Hoya SOLAS IRND as a replacement.

I dislike the colour cast I'm used to seeing with IRND filters, as it seems many of them just have an arbitrary amount of green added in an attempt to balance out the magenta IR contamination. That said, I'm not sure if they are doing something new or not with these though.

They state:
    "The design of this filter has been optimized for use with digital sensors and to promote nearly flat attenuation of visible light and infrared light. Due to imaging sensors' greater susceptibility to infrared light, compared to traditional film, color casts can occur when photographing darker subjects that require increased exposure times."
    “The Hoya SOLAS IRND filters are designed to evenly suppress IR across red, near-IR and IR areas of the spectrum to avoid any spectrum spikes that can add a color cast to the image.”

That may all be marketing speak though.

Has anyone used these Hoya SOLAS IRND filters?

Not sure, but it could be. That's what the NiSi Nano rectangular filters do and it works fairly well. The stronger your ND, the greater the chance of infrared contamination. Someone should be testing these, but I don't have access to a set.

Here's one review from a photographer's perspective. Not up to the critical standards we are used to in a review. Interesting there is no IRND 2.1 or 2.4 as they go from 1.8 to 2.7. I own ON1 Photo Raw so that's why they sent me this promo:

https://www.on1.com/blog/product-spo..._content=enews