Thread: Ursa Mini 4.6k vs GH5 Downloadable Raw and Vlog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1 Ursa Mini 4.6k vs GH5 Downloadable Raw and Vlog 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    820
    Took both these cameras for a quick test. So excited. The ursa mini 4.6k is so freaking awesome.

    https://youtu.be/tmGYszhJgjo
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,757
    Thanks again for posting.

    C'mon Blackmagic don't make my next camera a dslr.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    Thanks again for posting.

    C'mon Blackmagic don't make my next camera a dslr.
    Hahahah. i cant wait to compare the gh5 and the ursa when the bitrate upgrade comes out.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by jsfilmz View Post
    Hahahah. i cant wait to compare the gh5 and the ursa when the bitrate upgrade comes out.
    yeah the GH5 will do good as a B-CAM for certain jobs.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,132
    Thanks for posting the footage samples. Here is a quick grade of both in Resolve. I wanted to see how much DR could be recovered from the two shots and how they held up to pushing color. A couple of observations:
    1. The URSA sample was overexposed by about 2 stops so the sky is clipped. Skies are clipped in both examples, but the URSA raw could hold the full range with correct exposure.
    2. The GH5 has an OLPF, the Ursa does not. Personally I prefer a well matched OLPF, but the GH5 codec does not hold up well to sharpening.
    3. It doesn't show up so much after web compression, but I could pull a much broader more subtle range of shading and colors from the URSA as one would expect with DNG raw footage. Still like my Bolex better for color gamut though.
    4. The Ursa shading allowed more HDR like depth and dimension to the footage. Tree trunks looked round and there was a more 3D sense of depth perspective. The GH5 seemed flatter by comparison.
    5. I used color managed workflows for both files in Resolve for color space conversion. I used BMD4.6k film 3 to REC709 for the URSA and Vlog to REC709 for the GH5. Both worked well as a starting point for the grades.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by razz16mm View Post
    Thanks for posting the footage samples. Here is a quick grade of both in Resolve. I wanted to see how much DR could be recovered from the two shots and how they held up to pushing color. A couple of observations:
    1. The URSA sample was overexposed by about 2 stops so the sky is clipped. Skies are clipped in both examples, but the URSA raw could hold the full range with correct exposure.
    2. The GH5 has an OLPF, the Ursa does not. Personally I prefer a well matched OLPF, but the GH5 codec does not hold up well to sharpening.
    3. It doesn't show up so much after web compression, but I could pull a much broader more subtle range of shading and colors from the URSA as one would expect with DNG raw footage. Still like my Bolex better for color gamut though.
    4. The Ursa shading allowed more HDR like depth and dimension to the footage. Tree trunks looked round and there was a more 3D sense of depth perspective. The GH5 seemed flatter by comparison.
    5. I used color managed workflows for both files in Resolve for color space conversion. I used BMD4.6k film 3 to REC709 for the URSA and Vlog to REC709 for the GH5. Both worked well as a starting point for the grades.

    Sweet. Yes i said eff it and blew those highlights because i too were curious about how much you can pull down. I just wish the mini wasnt so big.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,757
    Quote Originally Posted by razz16mm View Post
    Thanks for posting the footage samples. Here is a quick grade of both in Resolve. I wanted to see how much DR could be recovered from the two shots and how they held up to pushing color. A couple of observations:
    1. The URSA sample was overexposed by about 2 stops so the sky is clipped. Skies are clipped in both examples, but the URSA raw could hold the full range with correct exposure.
    2. The GH5 has an OLPF, the Ursa does not. Personally I prefer a well matched OLPF, but the GH5 codec does not hold up well to sharpening.
    3. It doesn't show up so much after web compression, but I could pull a much broader more subtle range of shading and colors from the URSA as one would expect with DNG raw footage. Still like my Bolex better for color gamut though.
    4. The Ursa shading allowed more HDR like depth and dimension to the footage. Tree trunks looked round and there was a more 3D sense of depth perspective. The GH5 seemed flatter by comparison.
    5. I used color managed workflows for both files in Resolve for color space conversion. I used BMD4.6k film 3 to REC709 for the URSA and Vlog to REC709 for the GH5. Both worked well as a starting point for the grades.

    This video? https://vimeo.com/223259951

    What did you think about the color of the GH5 in general? GH5 seemed to me more neutral and easier to grade, Ursa had a lot of red in the mids and some blotchiness, maybe IR?

    JSFilms, your adapter needs some love, the top right of your image is mushy, not so on the Ursa, it's probably not the lens itself.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member DPStewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Desert
    Posts
    3,114
    Quote Originally Posted by razz16mm View Post
    Thanks for posting the footage samples. Here is a quick grade of both in Resolve. I wanted to see how much DR could be recovered from the two shots and how they held up to pushing color. A couple of observations:
    1. The URSA sample was overexposed by about 2 stops so the sky is clipped. Skies are clipped in both examples, but the URSA raw could hold the full range with correct exposure.
    2. The GH5 has an OLPF, the Ursa does not. Personally I prefer a well matched OLPF, but the GH5 codec does not hold up well to sharpening.
    3. It doesn't show up so much after web compression, but I could pull a much broader more subtle range of shading and colors from the URSA as one would expect with DNG raw footage. Still like my Bolex better for color gamut though.
    4. The Ursa shading allowed more HDR like depth and dimension to the footage. Tree trunks looked round and there was a more 3D sense of depth perspective. The GH5 seemed flatter by comparison.
    5. I used color managed workflows for both files in Resolve for color space conversion. I used BMD4.6k film 3 to REC709 for the URSA and Vlog to REC709 for the GH5. Both worked well as a starting point for the grades.

    Yeah...the GH5 is nice but....

    Really, the cameras that should be compared to the USRA Mini are the Canon C300, 5D mk III with ML RAW, and maybe the C200 I suppose.
    YES - they are overpriced compared to Panasonic stuff, but I think the Canon output looks far better than any of the lower-end non-varicam Panasonic stuff.
    All the folks I know who work A LOT (who don;t shoot RED or ALEXA) all shoot Canon - either C100, C300, or 5D with Magic Lantern RAW.
    Honestly, these are comparable devices to the Blackmagics or Panasonics....the only reason they cost so much more is because they are overpriced IMHO.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    760
    GH5 is a solid camera. I was able to match up an interview using the UM46K and GH5 pretty well.

    http://imgur.com/a/N5w0Q

    http://imgur.com/a/xRaH9
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronChicago View Post
    GH5 is a solid camera. I was able to match up an interview using the UM46K and GH5 pretty well.

    http://imgur.com/a/N5w0Q

    http://imgur.com/a/xRaH9
    Aaron, can you share some info about settings on both cams and postproduction on both sets of footage? Are you using Kholi's LUT on GH5 as a starting point?

    Thanks,
    O
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Micro Cinema Camera vs GH5 Bokeh Downloadable files
    By jsfilmz in forum Footage / Frames
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-06-2017, 01:33 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-09-2016, 04:53 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-09-2015, 03:48 AM
  4. BlackMagic Pocket Camera short film with downloadable footage
    By boygetslost in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-10-2013, 07:44 AM
  5. Downloadable DNG and ProRes coming
    By Philip Lipetz in forum Footage / Frames
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •