Thread: The Micro - My Only Hope?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 The Micro - My Only Hope? 
    Who shoots regularly on the Micro cam? It's about all I could hope to afford to shoot a no-budget feature. I want the 13 stops and probably Pro-Res for most of it.

What are my pros and cons? Am I screwed right off the bat, or is this feasible?

Same crop factor like Pocket?

Software? Does it come with Davinci?

Do I need super-expensive media?

Is it reliable?

You need OLPF filter, IR filter, cage, rig, Angle Expansion box, Side handle with LANC or PWM.S.Bus REC/Stop button, monitor with LUT support. Also you need to understand how to fix lot of workflow problems, like fixing Footage Cross Hatching, fixing weak saturation of greens and yellows in RAW, generate proper highlights rolloff LUT to make it looks like real 13 stop dynamic range camera.

Unfortunately this camera is not too usable as is for handled shooting. It was designed as camera for drones and tech geeks. Pocket Camera is more user friendly as is but with lower tech specs. Micro Camera is better for rigging, less rolling shutter, slightly less shadow noise due better cooling system.

- Same crop factor as Pocket
    - Full version of Davinci not included.
    - Media is cheap, uses the older SanDisk - Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Cards
    - Reliable, I guess yes?

Difficult with handheld and lowlight. Resolution compared to 4K cameras starting to show.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Giambrone View Post
    Same crop factor like Pocket?
    Software? Does it come with Davinci?
    Do I need super-expensive media?
    Is it reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    fixing weak saturation of greens and yellows in RAW, generate proper highlights rolloff LUT to make it looks like real 13 stop dynamic range camera.
    Is this green desaturation a common problem between the BMMCC and BMPCC? I find that my BMPCC is a bit green tinted when I saturate the image, so my experience is the reverse; I have to compensate in Camera Raw.

I'm beginning to suspect that there is a slight difference in colour science between the BMPCC and BMMCC, and that the colour science of the BMPCC is more matched to the BMCC, and the BMMCC to the later generation of BMD cameras (i.e. the URSAs).

Correct me if I'm wrong as I have no chance of comparing the two side by side.
    https://guerillafilmsoldier.wordpress.com/

Camera
    Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
    Zenit Meteor 5-1 f/1.9 17-69mm
    LOMO 16 OKS 3-10-1 f/2.1 10 mm
    Krasnogorsk-3 pistol grip with telescopic shoulder stock
    Fancier FC-270A Tripod with FC-02H Fluid Head

Workstation
    Windows 10 Pro
    Resolve 12.5.4.019
    ASUS X99-A
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3 GHz 15MB
    16GB RAM Corsair DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengeance
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB
    Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD
    Seagate Desktop 2TB HDD

Green desaturation problem is rather new find to me. It was discussed here http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?20...-ursa-mini-pro and here http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?20...-Camera-vs-GH5 It is present Pocket camera too. To see clear difference shoot same scene in RAW and ProRes.
    The funny thing that RAW converted to ProRes and exported as BMDfilm from Resolve gives you yet another different color behavior. So overall there are 3 different color looks from same camera. This is insane. Shame to Blackmagic to mess things.

White balance and the color matrix are separate entities that function largely independent of one another. White/black balance alone will rarely get you there even with broadcast cameras.
    In the pocket and micro the red and blue channels are gained to offset the disparity in the number of pixels sampled. There is no correction in the color matrix which is why they lack saturated greens.

Strange. My experience with my last two projects is that I have to raise tint (towards the red) in Camera Raw (from the preset) to offset the slightly green cast to the image.
    https://guerillafilmsoldier.wordpress.com/

Camera
    Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
    Zenit Meteor 5-1 f/1.9 17-69mm
    LOMO 16 OKS 3-10-1 f/2.1 10 mm
    Krasnogorsk-3 pistol grip with telescopic shoulder stock
    Fancier FC-270A Tripod with FC-02H Fluid Head

Workstation
    Windows 10 Pro
    Resolve 12.5.4.019
    ASUS X99-A
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3 GHz 15MB
    16GB RAM Corsair DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengeance
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB
    Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD
    Seagate Desktop 2TB HDD

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    Green desaturation problem is rather new find to me. It was discussed here http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?20...-ursa-mini-pro and here http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?20...-Camera-vs-GH5 It is present Pocket camera too. To see clear difference shoot same scene in RAW and ProRes.
    The funny thing that RAW converted to ProRes and exported as BMDfilm from Resolve gives you yet another different color behavior. So overall there are 3 different color looks from same camera. This is insane. Shame to Blackmagic to mess things.
    I dunno - the image is pretty good of the micro IMO

its raw or 10 bit prores - plenty of scope to get it where you want it in post

as long as you've got it well supported (gimbal, tripod, etc) it shoots great footage

OLPF is optional and might depend on what you shoot - a lot of people never really notice moire but it is there so - if you do get one the recent mosaic OLPF has IR cut built in
    A cage is an absolute must - the camera itself is not robust enough on its own without one

I would budget for at least 2* the cost of the camera (more like 3 really) to get something workable - on its own its too bare bones to do much with so you do need to rig it out

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Stacewicz View Post
    Strange. My experience with my last two projects is that I have to raise tint (towards the red) in Camera Raw (from the preset) to offset the slightly green cast to the image.
    Yes RAW is greenish. "In the pocket and micro the red and blue channels are gained to offset the disparity in the number of pixels sampled. There is no correction in the color matrix which is why they lack saturated greens."
    And when you adjust tint in raw overall image may looks ok, but weakens greens and makes them slightly brownish. I still can't find a perfect way how to fix it. Color checker helps, but not too perfect.
    Just quick compare how color checker tool works in Resolve (P3 color space with Cineon gamma) vs same tool in other app. more samples here http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?20...l=1#post238348

Last edited by shijan; 08-23-2017 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks, guys. Sounds like you're trying to sell me a GH5.