Thread: X-rite color checker for ursa mini pro

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 X-rite color checker for ursa mini pro 
    Hello,

Is the x-rite color checker a good buy for the ursa mini pro. Or is the ursa mini pro Auto white balance good enough? Would you guys recommend this?

Thanks!

I would probably rather have this one.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...m=Y&sku=979168

I know someone will have a reason to justify it but $287 for a piece of card!

If on a budget, the X-rite (the more recent one) is okay. And $287 for accurate charts is middle of the road, even a bit on the low side. Some of the DSC charts get up into the $1K+ range.

Here's more info about the One Shot.
    https://www.provideocoalition.com/ca..._labs_oneshot/

The auto white on the Ursa is AWB (Auto White Balance) not ATW (Auto Trace White) so ideally you use that function with a grey card not a color checker.

X-Rite charts are for mostly for stills and CDM charts are for video, the new X-Rite video charts have targets that "line up" which I believe is intentionally vague. For multi camera shoots a Chroma Du Mode is the only way. Any muggle can white balance 2 different cameras, matching the color matrix is another beast altogether, that's the real value of these charts.

Good Luck

But it should help to match colors from different lenses with different coatings, right?

I never can't understand how to use that automatic color matching in Resolve but i find Color Checker VERY useful for manual color matching RAW to ProRes color. I find that RAW files have slightly incorrect colors compared to ProRes. ProRes files have some kind of internal correction matrix but there is nothing same for RAW provided in Resolve. In RAW greens always appears slightly brown, yellows are very week and blues are too cyan. (Probably it is partially fixed in BMD film to Video LUT provided by Blackmagic, but i don't test it because i don't use that lut because it limits dynamic range and looks strange and unnatural for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    In the pocket and micro the red and blue channels are gained to offset the disparity in the number of pixels sampled. There is no correction in the color matrix which is why they lack saturated greens.
    So i shoot x-rite color checker chart in RAW and in ProRes, and then manually adjust colors with Hue vs Hue and Hue vs Sat. That's how i got perfect starting point that match real colors very well.
    Also i find that for some reason it is better don't touch "Tint" value in RAW tab because it produces strange color cast. I align Blue and Red channels in RAW tab with Color Temperature slider and then correct Tint in Secondary corrections tab! Then i apply my Color Checker correction node. This makes colors reach and natural, image is cleaner and less noisy than in ProRes and i can boost expose without any color casts.
    But i still testing this...

Screen-Shot-2017-05-29-at-12.54.22-PM.jpgScreen-Shot-2017-05-29-at-12.54.27-PM.jpg
    Last edited by shijan; 05-29-2017 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    I never can't understand how to use that automatic color matching in Resolve
    It's a bit odd, at first. You need to first use the color chart tool (drops down from the bottom left of the playback monitor) to indicate where your colour chart is, and then use the colour match. Select what chart you're using, source gamma, target gamma, target colour space, and hit match. It's not perfect, but it provides a pretty good starting point.

Shijan I use a similar technique with the CDM, the vector targets make it a relatively quick and painless process. You have to crank up the sat on both the raw tab and primaries then dial it back once you hit the targets. Here are a couple of raw frames if you want to check out the difference. I find I need to really push the green to get accurate color.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mk0g2dhlm3...00118.dng?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/067nu28tcd...00023.dng?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by FoldableHuman View Post
    It's a bit odd, at first. You need to first use the color chart tool (drops down from the bottom left of the playback monitor) to indicate where your colour chart is, and then use the colour match. Select what chart you're using, source gamma, target gamma, target colour space, and hit match. It's not perfect, but it provides a pretty good starting point.
    Yep, i know how it works, i mean that it produces strange results compared to other apps that can use Color Checker. Also for unknown reason this tool missing S-Gamut, S-Gamut3.Cine, Alexa and other color spaces. Last time i usually work in S-Gamut3.Cine so this tool is just useless in my workflow. When i set it to Rec709 and put in the end of the color correction chain it produces very poor quality color correction.