Thread: BMMCC ProRes in Premiere basics, help

1. #1 BMMCC ProRes in Premiere basics, help 
    Can anyone give me some kind general workflow for grading ProRes FILm in Premiere? tried some of the built in LUTs but I can't get a good basic neutral look

1. use RAW because ProRes adds strange green tint and boosts saturation compared to RAW.
    2. use LUTCalc https://cameramanben.github.io/LUTCa...alc/index.html to generate log to gamma LUT. Output options AmiraX2, Alexa709, LC709, LC709A produce best results.

Grading is more or less subjective and depends on what tone you're looking for. Several people on here, myself included, have posted their own custom LUTs for others to use. I've just uploaded my most recent LUT which I made specifically to reduce the green tint on the micro and you can grab it here if you'd like: http://www.tommyinmotion.com/update-...ma-camera-lut/

Quote Originally Posted by forbyfiev View Post
    Can anyone give me some kind general workflow for grading ProRes FILm in Premiere? tried some of the built in LUTs but I can't get a good basic neutral look
    I can't speak to Premiere but I doubt that it would treat ProRes or LUTs differently from other NLEs.
    That said, ProRes certainly doesn't add any green to footage. The Micro does have a bit of green bias as I've noted here compared to the Pocket and Ciname Camera, as well as being a bit desaturated by comparison.

That said, working regularly in Resolve and FCPX with raw and ProRes footage, the best LUT I'd recommend to you for a quick balance of well exposed footage is Hans Hijmering's Lut's (I'm on the road and can get you more later, but just google). This is a really solid package using the same LUT with different inherent chroma levels. Anyway, that's our go-to LUT for a lot of work. Boz (on this site) LUT is almost identical to the Hijmering handling of BM footage exceot that it has a very diferent high end roll-off that can be helpful for footage that's a bit too ETTR as well as high contrast outdoor footage (that we produce a lot).

Anyway, I'd start with the HH package because I know it well and have produced dozens of broadcast projects with it and we've got 5 films in edit using it right now.

I second the Hans Hijmering LUT's. They look very good, imo, and I've been using his BMPCC LUT for a while now.

As for ProRes vs RAW, I think RAW is a huge waste of space if you're not shooting something that calls for it. You can white balance and adjust the exposure of ProRes just fine, if you know what you're doing. I just don't think there's much of a payoff for using that much extra space.

But I don't have a Micro, just a Pocket, so ymmv.

EDIT: Just remembered the Micro has compressed RAW. So yeah, you might as well use that since there isn't much of a space difference.
    Last edited by RyLo; 05-24-2017 at 10:28 AM.

A few people have mentioned this but the BMMCC does default towards green, but that's pretty easy to dial out. Before you get a LUT on your footage I'd suggest a basic grade first, so add in extra contrast and saturation, then do a white balance adjustment, so you can see what your footage really looks like before putting a LUT on. I prefer this to start because you're getting to see what the camera recorded before it's translated by a LUT -- unless you're using a basic LUT (like the default Blackmagic film to rec709 LUT in Resolve) the creator of the LUT has made colour choices based on their tastes, which may or may not be your own. After doing the white balance you can reset the contrast and saturation, then grade however you like, knowing that you at least have nailed your white balance.

For my money I think Filmconvert does a great job with BMPCC and BMMCC footage, and it has better looking grain than the grain tracks I've used in the past. At the risk of being obnoxiously self-promoting (sorry!), I've just posted a short doc I shot with my BMMCC and graded with Filmconvert: http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...988#post237988