Thread: The SmallHD focus is up for pre-order but is it worth it?

1. #1 The SmallHD focus is up for pre-order but is it worth it? 
    http://store.smallhd.com/focus-micro-hdmi-monitor

The new 5inch smallhd monitor is up for preorder boasting.

Display: 5-inch, 1280x720, 294 PPI
    Brightness: 800 nits
    Input: Micro HDMI, Micro USB
    Output: ⅛” Headphone Jack, 7.2v Power
    Power: Sony L Series Battery (Not Included)

and the ability to run a camera off a dummy battery via the monitors L series. By the looks of it someone might be able to come up with a cable to power the pocket camera.

At $499 USD for the monitor and mounting arm or $599 for the monitor, mounting arm, 1 dummy battery, 1 anton bauer L Series battery (looks like a NP-F770?)

Looks like it'd be an easy choice for pocket cinema camera users or anyone who also shoots on DSLRs but at a potential 600 dollar price point is it worth it? If I had a pocket my money would already be spent since it basically negates 2 of the cameras big flaws in a compact form factor.

When you consider the competition for the price range there's not a whole lot out there when it comes to decent 5inch field monitors that are just monitors. At a quick search the only one I could find at a similar price point and features was the Ikan DH5e https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...k_support.html

But I feel like the smallhd focus edges out the Ikan with it's 800 nit brightness and camera power option even with the 720p screen.

The next thing to weight up would be the Black Magic video assist ($495) or the Atomos Ninja blade ($495, $395 atm at B&H). Now one might say different products for difference uses and you'd be correct but to only go with one of the 3? what would you pick?

For myself the ninja blade is out, even though it runs on cost effective ssd's with great exposure tools and is probably the cheapest of the bunch it cannot take in anything over 30p so unless your camera knows to downscale it's not gonna run on something like the Micro cinema camera.

That just leaves the Black Magic video assist. Both the video assist and the focus come with their own bonuses and potential uses if you have extra cameras. The video assist allows proress and dnx hd recordings up to 1080 60p, a 1080p screen, hot swapable batteries and sdi in and out. So any of the ursa models would take the video assist via sdi out of the box. While the focus offers a daylight viewable image at 720p and the ability to power the camera.

So I guess to get the most out of it you'd need to either consider the other cameras you have or the cameras you plan to get in future. Which is tough because atm I'm sitting here with my micro simply trying to find a monitor worth the money. Atm I'm leaning toward the smallhd focus because while it doesn't boast a 1080 screen or recording the daylight viewability and camera power is just too good to give up considering I'd be more inclined to get a high end consumer 4k camera next like the GH5 or sony a7sii or iii rather than save the extra for an ursa.

An interesting addition in this video shown to me by @Tomas Stacewicz where a smallhd rep mentions future camera control options via the micro usb port "primarily on canon and nikon" https://youtu.be/VPnr6mT4knY?t=2m11s
    Last edited by Ryanite; 05-13-2017 at 10:07 PM.

The micro hdmi kills it for me. I don't know why they had to cheap out on this cheap part.

Quote Originally Posted by goodgoings View Post
    The micro hdmi kills it for me. I don't know why they had to cheap out on this cheap part.
    A monitor that really caters to the needs of the dslr user in general. One would assume that the same connection type to the same connection type would be superior so they would've gone with micro to micro for most dslr's even though that isn't the case.

micro hdmi is a bit of a bummer, however the connection is recessed inside the monitor and there is away of tying down the cable. it is not a deal breaker for me. the os is the same one that is in its more expensive brethren and is fully implemented. the display is 800 nits. my credot card is cowering in the corner in anticipation of my pulling the trigger on it.

the benefit i see is that it will power the ol' pocket camera!

One big problem I have with the VA is the interaction of the exposure tools and LUTs. The exposure is not affected by Luts and that sucks for me atleast. If this Monitor has it and is also brighter I might give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotbart View Post
    One big problem I have with the VA is the interaction of the exposure tools and LUTs. The exposure is not affected by Luts and that sucks for me atleast. If this Monitor has it and is also brighter I might give it a shot.
    Hm. But then again, the sensor needs to be exposed to it's best, so exposure tools being affected by LUT would be hindering with that. If you know your LUT and how to best expose to it, then it makes sense of course. You could always change the LUT, under/overexpose it in Resolve to what you want it to be and export and load that LUT on the monitor.

The Focus would be an instant buy for me if it had HDMI out, I need it for sending wireless HDMI. I hope and trust in SmallHD that they'll keep coming up with great stuff in the future

It's a shame they made it touchscreen only. It's exactly in bright outdoor situations when fingerprints start to screw up your ability to see the screen. Their joystick is so well suited to their OS. I wish they kept it.

It is so 50/50 monitor.

Pros:
    Bright IPS panel
    720p is ok because it needs less power and produces less heat and input lag.
    Seems it is very lightweight (plastic body)
    I like that simple "classic" design.
    LUT support
    I am not a fan of touchscreen but i can even live with it.

Cons:
    Large and heavy Sony battery makes rig too top heavy.
    Only one battery slot, but i can even live with it
    Micro HDMI is the main problem.
    No HDMI pass through
    Connector ports located in wired place.