Thread: Umpro cfast -> ssd problems

1. #1 Umpro cfast -> ssd problems 
    I have a UMPRO with a cfast to esata cable, hooked up to a star tech ssd enclosure with a Samsung 850 evo. It's pretty much the same setup that Tom Antos has in his video about the DIY SSD solution.

My problem is that it randomly stops recording no matter the resolution or codec. It doesn't stop from dropped frames, because I've tried it with the "stop rec if dropped frames" on and off.

The battery I'm using is a Juicebox 95 battery for the ursa mini, and it has a USB port so I've tried powering with that, I've also used a phone charger to power it and I still have the same problem.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

I would just forget the adapter setup, too cumbersome anyway, and either get some CFast cards or wait for the anM SSD recorder for the Pro, coming out later this summer.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by rbroho View Post
    I have a UMPRO with a cfast to esata cable, hooked up to a star tech ssd enclosure with a Samsung 850 evo. It's pretty much the same setup that Tom Antos has in his video about the DIY SSD solution.

My problem is that it randomly stops recording no matter the resolution or codec. It doesn't stop from dropped frames, because I've tried it with the "stop rec if dropped frames" on and off.

The battery I'm using is a Juicebox 95 battery for the ursa mini, and it has a USB port so I've tried powering with that, I've also used a phone charger to power it and I still have the same problem.

Any ideas what the problem could be?
    I use this exact setup with my UMP and haven't had any issues. Although, I do only format in camera and then utilize it. What format are you using? ExFAT? In the end, this is really a hacked together solution that happens to work for me in the meantime. I'm still waiting on that official SSD solution from BM, but until then, this is it.
    RED Monstro 8K VV "Baymax+"
    Ursa Mini Pro - "Sulley"
    Tokina Cinema Vista Primes
    Sigma Art Lenses

I'm formatting in camera too, to EXFAT. I guess I will have to get some cfast cards, I was trying to hold off until the official SSD adapter came out but I'm going to be working too much so I have to have a reliable setup :/ #lestruggle

Are you sure you provide enough power to the ssd?
    You need at least 2A (at 5Volts) for a safe operation. Not all USB Ports provide that.

Yes, I've tried multiple 2amp power sources