Thread: SmallHD Focus and Micro Cinema

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 SmallHD Focus and Micro Cinema 
    After seeing the SmallHD Focus, I think it'd make a better pair with the Micro Cinema Camera then the Video Assist. One of the main issues I have with the Video Assist is that it's not great in sunlight, even with a sun hood. The fact the Focus was design to be seen outdoors is a huge win if it really works out. And the fact that they designed it to power the monitor AND the camera with a dummy canon battery with a Sony L, makes less batteries needed to be recharged, and less to bring to set to power both the monitor and the camera. There's even a mount hole underneath the monitor that can allow us to mount an expansion controller for the Micro to it. It doesn't allow any recording, but the Micro never was a good option for external recording, with the menu always at risk of getting recorded by accident.

Daylight viewable is great but $500 is a bit steep considering the 720p screen and micro HDMI. It's a nice light weight 5" screen though but having the option to externally record at the same price point and a part of me is still hoping that maybe just maybe a firmware update will allow full touch screen menu control.

The VA touch screen is not going to be able to control the Micro camera menus via HDMI, this is not a firmware upgradeable issue.
    From what I understand when this first came e out and was mentioned, the screen control,RR has to be hardwired to the ca era controller to enable this type of function, so both have to be in the camera body, and intergrated together. The closest you are goi g to get, is the camera's SBus, whopich can control some of the ca era fractures, and a remote SBus control that has Bluetooth control, could be used with a device like a iPhone to control the camera via touch screen.

While this type of functionality could be implemented, both the camera and the VA would need controllers in each device that would pass the control signals between them via HDMI, so it becomes more of a hardware issue than software at this point. The existing hardware in the Micro camera and VA do not seem to be designed to do this at this time, or BM would have implemented this by now, given all the other upgrades the VA has gotten.
    Dheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 04-29-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Chiasson View Post
    The fact the Focus was design to be seen outdoors is a huge win if it really works out.

If it's anything like the SmallHD702 I can definitely attest to it's capabilities in sunlight using the Micro. It's beautiful, but like others have said, very spendy. I consider it to be one of my biggest luxury items.
    Tyler Jordan
    http://www.theartoftylerjordan.com

Photographer - DP - Studio Manager

The Focus is only $495, not $1200.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    The VA touch screen is not going to be able to control the Micro camera menus via HDMI, this is not a firmware upgradeable issue.
    From what I understand when this first came e out and was mentioned, the screen control,RR has to be hardwired to the ca era controller to enable this type of function, so both have to be in the camera body, and intergrated together. The closest you are goi g to get, is the camera's SBus, whopich can control some of the ca era fractures, and a remote SBus control that has Bluetooth control, could be used with a device like a iPhone to control the camera via touch screen.

While this type of functionality could be implemented, both the camera and the VA would need controllers in each device that would pass the control signals between them via HDMI, so it becomes more of a hardware issue than software at this point. The existing hardware in the Micro camera and VA do not seem to be designed to do this at this time, or BM would have implemented this by now, given all the other upgrades the VA has gotten.
    Dheers
    oh damn, thanks for the info! a bit of a shame really but not too bad because of micro remotes. This just means my options opened up a little.

as for the smallhd focus, that dummy battery feature is a really nice way to transform a whole system onto np-f batteries. I was considering grabbing Swit batteries for the micro with the 7v output in them and running the dummy battery onto a monitor. Going via the smallhd would mean I could grab more batteries for cheaper. Considering that I'm not sure that I would use the external recording function of the VA all that much the small hdfocus is looking like a real good option. I just wish it was a bit cheaper.

I used to use this one with the Micro. It doesn't have all of the fancy features, but it's 7", a good resolution, and cheap. I basically just needed to see if I was in focus.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ll.html?sts=pi

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I used to use this one with the Micro. It doesn't have all of the fancy features, but it's 7", a good resolution, and cheap. I basically just needed to see if I was in focus.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ll.html?sts=pi
    yeah I think for the moment barring any sort of preorder sale this kind of thing is my best bet except I was thinking of going with the bestview s7 4k monitor (incase I need a 4k monitor for something in the future). Similar price but from china http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bestview-...0AAOSwvihY-az9

Hoping that it will be able to connect the power outlet of the SmallHD Focus to the BMPCC 0.7 mm 12V DC power input. Any info on that issue?
    https://guerillafilmsoldier.wordpress.com/

Camera
    Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
    Zenit Meteor 5-1 f/1.9 17-69mm
    LOMO 16 OKS 3-10-1 f/2.1 10 mm
    Krasnogorsk-3 pistol grip with telescopic shoulder stock
    Fancier FC-270A Tripod with FC-02H Fluid Head

Workstation
    Windows 10 Pro
    Resolve 12.5.4.019
    ASUS X99-A
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3 GHz 15MB
    16GB RAM Corsair DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengeance
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB
    Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD
    Seagate Desktop 2TB HDD

How much would it have cost to use a full HDMI port instead of a micro HDMI? It couldn't have been much of a difference.