Thread: powering ursa mini pro over DTAP from Vlock battery?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 22 of 22
  1. #21  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Finnigan View Post
    That's a very bad idea. You need a 12v regulator in place if you are going to use the XLR input for battery power.
    Oh, thanks for the info. Glad I didnt order yet then
    Does there exist a cable from v-lock to v-lock. So I can connet this v-lock cable to the battery plate from my ursa mini pro. So in that case I do not need the 12v regulator?

    If not, what regulator(cheap and compact) would you recommend?
    Last edited by polaroid22; 11-10-2017 at 09:43 AM.
    Reply With Quote  

  2. #22  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    USA N. CA
    Not a good idea, never have seen a Vlock cable per se. This is what the 4-pin XLR connection is for, and going cheap in any power solution is an accident waiting to happen. Another OP here just fired his new camera and a VA trying to use a cheap power solution to power both. I would contact BM Support directly about the voltage requirements for the 4-pin XLR. Many cameras with a direct 4-pin power connection are designed to allow connection to an external 12-volt battery pack, which can output from 12-16VDC, like a VLock battery does.

    Some newer VLock and Gold Monnt battereis have a regulated DTap output, which should then work to power the Ursa Mini with a DTap,to 4-pin XLR cable, if you go who’s route make sure to get a good quality cable, not a cheap Asian knockoff —remember not all cables are created equal, and you get what you pay for. IndiePro, Zacuto, Wooden Camera and Video Devices all offer quality cables. Also “Cables to Gol is another good source for quality cables.

    BM Supoirt should be able to advise you if you can connect a 12-16VDC battery using the 4-pin XLR, then you will have the correct info direct from BM. This is a user forum, our replies are usually based on past experience, but some posters will give you “sidewalk supervisor” comments without any real knowledge of the specific equipment in question, but rather based on perhaps using a similar camera like a Sony ENG camera (which can take from 12-18VDC on its 4-pin XLR power connection).

    Whatever you do, do not go cheap — get the right gear for the job. If you need 12-VDC, then get a good professional quality regulated battery distribution system, like a BDS or Zacuto and Wooden Camera solutions designed for your camera.
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 11-11-2017 at 02:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. [FS] Ursa Mini 4K + Top Handle + Vlock Mount
    By Samermachine in forum For Sale / Want to Buy
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-23-2017, 01:39 PM
  2. Powering The BMMCC from a 12v battery
    By robives in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-02-2017, 01:04 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-25-2016, 12:41 AM
  4. DTAP to URSA
    By jsfilmz in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-25-2015, 01:17 PM
  5. Powering a BMPCC through a E-cig battery
    By Fauxto in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-01-2015, 11:45 AM
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts