Thread: What does everyone think about the GH5's colour and dynamic range?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 What does everyone think about the GH5's colour and dynamic range? 
    Now there's really no doubting the GH5's functions because there's a ton to like. But what does everyone think about the more subjective topic of colour science? BM being famous for theirs I'd like to get some insight from what people have seen so far of the GH5 and how V-log L is holding up against BM film log.

I think I'm too new to the game to really put anything of worth forward but I'd like to know what you guys think, even more so if you already have one! Me personally I won't be picking one up any time soon as I'm only just making way with learning my micro but with 400bmps all-intra recording on it's way for the GH5 I'm super interested in it if it can hold up in image like the BM range can.

Color is relatively poor, Dynamic range is about 12 stops. I've been on and off with one and personally believe that it needs a ton of color work to look decent. But others say that about BMD cameras, so.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Haven't been necessarily blown away by anything I have seen from the GH5 so far. But I do like some of the videos that James Miller shot:

https://vimeo.com/205130607

https://vimeo.com/205288265

https://vimeo.com/205454719

It's not Blackmagic level image, but for what it is - it's great. I'm using it as a B cam to the UM46K. A lot of situations where I've been using the GH5 on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronChicago View Post
    It's not Blackmagic level image, but for what it is - it's great. I'm using it as a B cam to the UM46K. A lot of situations where I've been using the GH5 on it's own.
    And matching them against each other isn't too hard? I'm looking for a B cam to UM46K. Currently use a pocket but i find it to be a huge hassle to match when shooting prores.

Would love to see some footage from another Mini user!

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyDem View Post
    Haven't been necessarily blown away by anything I have seen from the GH5 so far. But I do like some of the videos that James Miller shot:
    All shot outside in most favorable light conditions: strong overcast. GH5 has bretty bad highlight roll off, something you will see with stronger sunlight. To be perfectly honest these videos just show washed out colors, with mediocre skin tones and not showing any challenges to DR.

Quote Originally Posted by kbmjkeys88 View Post
    And matching them against each other isn't too hard? I'm looking for a B cam to UM46K. Currently use a pocket but i find it to be a huge hassle to match when shooting prores.
    It's a bit of a challenge, but not any harder than matching the BMPC or Pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    Would love to see some footage from another Mini user!
    I'll have some samples soon. I'm shooting a music video this weekend with both. I'm using the GH5 for anamorphic frames though, so they may have a bit different look.
    What I might do though is shoot a scene with both using the same lens for comparison.

I'll have some samples soon. I'm shooting a music video this weekend with both. I'm using the GH5 for anamorphic frames though, so they may have a bit different look.
    What I might do though is shoot a scene with both using the same lens for comparison.
    Hey I have a LUT you could maybe try if you're using V-Log : https://vimeo.com/214534042 (Firefox is pretty magenta, Safari looks pretty close to my Resolve/Export). It's primarily aimed at cleaning up all the weird jaundiced skin, allowing saturation / separation of colors, and softer roll off at the top.

If you want to give the two a run while you shoot, and you're able to trade some footage off, would be happy to let you test run it for feedback.

PM me if so.