Thread: Aputure 300d (2K HMI equivalent)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Aputure 300d (800w HMI equivalent) 
    This is crazy. You can connect 6 of these into one household outlet. 98 CRI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXN5FVZ4ukA
    Last edited by AaronChicago; 04-24-2017 at 07:54 AM.

That's the wrong link and the light is said to be close to 2k tungsten output not HMI. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NXN5FVZ4ukA

Quote Originally Posted by The HRHM View Post
    That's the wrong link and the light is said to be close to 2k tungsten output not HMI. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NXN5FVZ4ukA
    Good catch, wrong link. Fixed. My mistake 2K tungsten, 800W HMI.

This looks so good, and the bowers accessories are amazingly cheap, even a fresnel for it will only be about $100. Powering off of v mount will me a mint though. Marine batteries and inverter on a cart may be better option.

Ahhh... THIS is the kind of news I'm keen to hear from NAB. I have two of the 120ds and they're just so good in so many ways, but they are a tiny bit under powered when punching them through a soft box. With the 300d it looks like I can retire my boat anchor magnetic ballasted HMI 575's to serve as green screen & cyc lights in the studio and not have to haul them out to sets.

He says 3X as powerful as the 120D, but said in the video (below) 82,000 lux at 0.5m. The 120D is 14,000 lux at 0.5m. Same beam angle so they should be directly comparable.

So is it 3 times as bright? Or 6 times?

Magenta glass filter is a good idea. That said, will it now be mismatched when used with the 120D?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z1W_aJCEbc

Check out the space light attachment @4:26. Wish it could be skirted, though.
    Last edited by LochnessDigital; 04-24-2017 at 05:52 PM.
    Aaron Lochert

You have to wait for these things to be available to be certain. Last year's roll out of the 120 series was pretty bad because they were just throwing out power equivalents. It made it seem like they didn't know what they were talking about at times. It's easy to get lost in the enthusiasm and not in the actual product.

A little bit of mathing on the Arri Interactive photometic calculator I see that 82k lux at 0.5 meters lies pretty much right in between the ArriLux PocketPAR-200 HMI and an ArriLux PocketPAR-400 HMI. So it seems to me that a 300 watt LED COB is about as efficient at light throwing as an HMI. Not really at all close to the 800 watt Joker numbers being touted in the first video, but a tasty step up from the somewhat anemic 120 watt offering from the 120d. The form factor and light quality (assuming these new COBs are as good as the 120d/t variants) is a win, though.

Now, as for a comparison to a 2k open faced tungsten light, the ArriLight 2000 watt open face flood throws roughly the same lux at slightly further than a pure 0.5 meters (closest I could calculate is at 0.58 meters) so the 2k tungsty open face is a slightly stronger light than these, at least as far as I can figure doing rough comparisons on photometrics. So the comparison to a 2k tungten seems more fair and less hype filled.

The color shift of the magenta filter might make things a tiny bit off when teaming the 300 up with the 120's, but that's not looking like a terribly strong magenta filter. It certainly didn't have a strong color cast. I'm not sure the color shift is enough to bark about when it's all washed together with light from the 120s. On a side note- that filter/protector looks like a simple little add on piece that's bolted into the tin cup cover. If they sold that piece as an stand alone user mod I'd gladly tap a few mounting holes in the tin cup of my 120's to allow me to slap a cover/magenta filter onto them. But I highly doubt they'd offer those as a stand alone product.

Quote Originally Posted by keithlango View Post
    A little bit of mathing on the Arri Interactive photometic calculator I see that 82k lux at 0.5 meters lies pretty much right in between the ArriLux PocketPAR-200 HMI and an ArriLux PocketPAR-400 HMI. So it seems to me that a 300 watt LED COB is about as efficient at light throwing as an HMI. Not really at all close to the 800 watt Joker numbers being touted in the first video, but a tasty step up from the somewhat anemic 120 watt offering from the 120d. The form factor and light quality (assuming these new COBs are as good as the 120d/t variants) is a win, though.

Now, as for a comparison to a 2k open faced tungsten light, the ArriLight 2000 watt open face flood throws roughly the same lux at slightly further than a pure 0.5 meters (closest I could calculate is at 0.58 meters) so the 2k tungsty open face is a slightly stronger light than these, at least as far as I can figure doing rough comparisons on photometrics. So the comparison to a 2k tungten seems more fair and less hype filled.

The color shift of the magenta filter might make things a tiny bit off when teaming the 300 up with the 120's, but that's not looking like a terribly strong magenta filter. It certainly didn't have a strong color cast. I'm not sure the color shift is enough to bark about when it's all washed together with light from the 120s. On a side note- that filter/protector looks like a simple little add on piece that's bolted into the tin cup cover. If they sold that piece as an stand alone user mod I'd gladly tap a few mounting holes in the tin cup of my 120's to allow me to slap a cover/magenta filter onto them. But I highly doubt they'd offer those as a stand alone product.
    You have to remember that the Aputure lights have a 120 degree spread. The Arri 2K open face has a 60 degree spread and throws a 0.6 meter diameter circle at a half meter distance, where the Aputure will throw a 1.7 meter circle at a half meter. This means that the Aputure light is covering 8 times more area at any given distance than the Arri.

So let's dive in and look at the Joker 800 photometrics:

According to their spec sheet, at 3 feet, which is 0.9m with the Super Wide lens, it throws a circle with a diameter of 0.73 meters. Which means it has a beam angle of about 44 degrees. At this distance, it's throwing 7,300 footcandles, which is 78,577 lux. Using the inverse square law I calculated that at the same 0.5 meter we're comparing for our Aputure lights, this light should output 262,800 lux.

So now we know that the Joker is objectively brighter at the same distance. But that doesn't tell the whole story.

Again, the Aputure's beam angle of 120 degrees means it lights a 1.73 meter circle at 0.5 meter distance. At this same distance, the Joker 800 projects a circle 0.4 meters across. Surface area wise, you're comparing 2.36 square meters of coverage with the Aputure 300D to 0.13 square meters with the Joker. That's over 18 times the surface area of the Joker.

So how do we compare two lights of different angles and intensities?

The answer is lumens, which is simply calculated by lux multiplied with the surface area. So for the Aputure: 82,000 lux * 2.36 sq. m = 193,520 lumens. For the Joker: 262,800 * 0.13 sq. m = 34,164 lumens.

Finally, we've answered the question, is the Aputure 300d brighter than a Joker 800 at the same distance? No. But more total output than one? Yes. The tricky part is honing that wide beam down to something with a bit more usability, this is where some inevitable light loss will happen. I'm curious to know what the specs are with the fresnel attachment.

This is the problem when trying to give information about a light in small, digestible sentences for a trade show; there's just so much more to it than that. For example, I have an LED flashlight I carry with me every day. My light meter reads f/4 at 0.5m at 180 deg and 800 ISO. Does that mean it's useful for video lighting? Absolutely not.
    Aaron Lochert

Adding the fresnel lens will concentrate the brightness quite a bit. I have the 120t with a fresnel lens, and an Arri 650w. I've done head to head tests are they are practically identical with the 120t maybe a hair brighter.