Thread: FW no does not update camera

1. #1 FW no does not update camera 
    I RMA my Mini 4.6k and just recieved a new one. It has an old fimware don't know which version but it is one of the old ver 3.x. Anyway I tried to update the firmware and it refuse to recognise the camera or when it does it fails the update right at the begining. Do I have to update the FW incrementally or is this another RMA?

Edit

I sussed it. Have to downgrade FW to ver 3.0 and then update to latest FW.
    Last edited by Taikonaut; 04-21-2017 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    I RMA my Mini 4.6k and just recieved a new one. It has an old fimware don't know which version but it is one of the old ver 3.x. Anyway I tried to update the firmware and it refuse to recognise the camera or when it does it fails the update right at the begining. Do I have to update the FW incrementally or is this another RMA?
    Hopefully it's not. Did you try to redownload the FW? From time to time some errors occure while downloading. Second thing, you could try another usb cable and another usb port.
    Christian Haake / cinematographer / Austria / www.christianhaake.net / Reel: https://vimeo.com/208444259

It was'nt anything to do with the download, it was because of what seems to be a version of an earlier 3.x firmware that refuses to update to ver 4.x. The only way around it was to load FW 3.0 and then update to FW 4.x.
    What I did notice before the update going into the menu an overlay message says sometihng like "software update available" I don't recall seeing that in my original camera when I first had it. It could be the FW not being installed properly by BMD so it refuse to upgrade but would allow it downgrade and then upgrade.

The reason why I RMA my camera was because compatability issue with some lenses. I finally got round to doing this. I've been told by BMD it was a simple procedure bit they say they would check for other known issues but they instead send me a knew camera so I don't know what it was they found to merit the exchange. My original camera has a very neutral sensor so I will check for magenta cast. I cant say FPN is any better in the new camera but what I did notice is the image appears warmer. My original camera is an early batch being one of the first in the UK so maybe BMD had increase the temp white balance in later sensors? Kholi mention his new Mini Pro produces warmer images than his Mini 4.6k, assuming he was using an early production Mini 4.6k.

There's no such thing as a warmer batch.

There are variations sensor to sensor from the manufacturer.

I have a UM body that requires a -39 tint correction to match the default +10 tint in the earlier body I have which seems about right.

Think of the +10 default being an average but sensor to sensor variation means that you can get differences. The fact that it's 10. -39 or zero doesn't really indicate anything.

JB

This replacement camera produces warmer image or Kholi and myself is mistaken.
    It is not green or magenta tint control different. If I lower the temp by a few hundred Ks I can get pretty close to the WB of my previous camera. Obviously I no longer have my old camera to compare side to side. Sometimes with my old camera I need to boost the temp to 6000k to get what I want, this new camera I need to lower the temp to as much as 5200k.

Like I said, there's no such thing as a warmer batch.

But it is normal to get variations sensor to sensor. I have three Alexa Mini's right now and one of them looks much warmer and greener than the other two.

JB

I can say is 5200k is now my new default instead of 5600k.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    I can say is 5200k is now my new default instead of 5600k.
    I think JB is not saying that some sensors are warmer, but rather that an entire batch isn't warmer etc, and the variations are sensor to sensor rather than self similar within a batch?

Not sure you guys are disagreeing.

Quote Originally Posted by nyccomposer View Post
    I think JB is not saying that some sensors are warmer, but rather that an entire batch isn't warmer etc, and the variations are sensor to sensor rather than self similar within a batch?

Not sure you guys are disagreeing.
    Could be early batch are cooler? For all I know I might have been sent a left over beta camera.
    I will ask why they swap my camera rather than doing simple update to fix lens compatability. Surely swapping camera risk having other issues.

It's normal. We had three Red cameras with MX sensors and they all looked different.