Thread: Connecting Mix-Pre to Tascam DR-100 using CS3

1. #1 Connecting Mix-Pre to Tascam DR-100 using CS3 
    Hey, not an audio guy here, but I've been assembling a kit to be able to start learning and recording audio.

I have a mix-pre (not D), Tascam DR 100 mk2, and CS3. I'm trying to record using the Tascam and use the mix-pre's preamps. Only thing is, I don't know exactly how to do that and so far searching google hasn't yielded the best results. The Tascam has 2 XLR inputs.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure what you are trying to do but you can try this...

1. XLR mics to PreMix and 3.5" headphone out to your Tascam stereo line-in. This will let you record to the Tascam. Not sure what to do with the CS3.

If you are trying to use your Tascam as a Mic on the PreMix, don't.

If you want to mix you input and record, go with a multitrack recorder like the Zoom R24. Or just used the PreMix with XLR mics alone or just the Tascam by itself. There's many options here.

EDIT: My comments are related to cinematography, otherwise other applications are unknown to me.
    Last edited by EYu; 04-20-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Not sure what you are trying to do but you can try this...

1. XLR mics to PreMix and 3.5" headphone out to your Tascam stereo line-in. This will let you record to the Tascam. Not sure what to do with the CS3.

If you are trying to use your Tascam as a Mic on the PreMix, don't.

If you want to mix you input and record, go with a multitrack recorder like the Zoom R24. Or just used the PreMix with XLR mics alone or just the Tascam by itself. There's many options here.

EDIT: My comments are related to cinematography, otherwise other applications are unknown to me.
    Sorry, I'll try to be a little clearer: I want to use my Sanken CS3 mic to record dialogue, using the Mix-Pre's preamps, and record onto the tascam dr 100 mk2. I can record dialogue directly into the Tascam if I use the XLR input for the mic, but I much prefer Mix-Pre's preamps.

Got it. So just as I suggested in #1 to do. CS3 goes in your PreMix XLR in. Your PreMix out goes to your Tascam line in. Monitor your levels on the Tascam.