Thread: SLR Magic 12mm vs Optar Illumina S16 16mm Test

1. #1 SLR Magic 12mm vs Optar Illumina S16 16mm Test 
    Shoot in RAW under 3200K light with Mosaic OLPS and Hoya IR filter, developed in Davinci Resolve. (Input BMDfilm, Timeline LogC, contrast 1.1, Amira709 LUT generated in LUTCalc 3.0.1)
    Link to Dropbox folder with images for faster download https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rwlsmyozu...b30f9wsVa?dl=0

Last edited by shijan; 04-21-2017 at 05:11 AM.

Vintage cine lens OKS3-15-1 test added for comparison (slightly different scale because i cant focus it close to chart because OLPF filter cause flange focal distance shift):

Last edited by shijan; 04-21-2017 at 05:14 AM.

Seems like you have to stop down the SLR magic a full stop more just to compete with the sharpness of the Optars at a given aperture.

Wide open actually seems usable on the Optars where the SLR magic is complete mush until 2.8.

If I had a pocket I'd be rocking Optars or Zeiss s16 Super Speeds for sure.
    Aaron Lochert

I had the SLR Magic 12mm, and sold it after getting a Zeiss ZF 18mm paired with the BMPCC Speed Booster, which I sold after I got the Zeiss Super Speed 12mm. Now I mostly use the Super Speed and Optar Illumina S16 lenses with a PL adapter bolted on my Micro camera. The Illumina lenses are a little sharper stopped down to T2.0, but still very useable wide open, which gets you a nice "S16 film look" quality to the image.
    These lenses are great!
    Cheers

If i'm not stuck with the Voightlanders the Superspeeds are my go-to lens. By god most of them need a good service though, especially if they are Mark 1's.

Yes SLR Magic lens softer wide open but has its own advantages - round aperture at any stop, more field brightness uniformity, less color abberations, slightly less contrast look which is desirable in many situations. Also i like it because it matches mechanically to my Yashica photo lenses with same direction of aperture and focus rings and can hold few 77mm filters and small deep lens hood without vignetting due closer placement of filter thread to the front lens element. Focus and aperture rings movement are perfectly smooth out the box and don't require grease replacement as Optars are. So they just different, both are very well made lenses.

Also as i know SLR Magics are differ in quality a lot because lens blocks are mounted in very simple way inside lens. Seems it very easy to repair. Looking at the direction of smear produced at T1.6 i think probably it can be fine tuned just with adjustment of lens blocks and the lens may became sharp at T2 too.

Last edited by shijan; 05-02-2017 at 05:50 AM.