Thread: UM4.6k & Mamiya Sekor C

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm about to invest in some Mamiya 645 C/N glass and a 645->PL adapter from Les Bosher...

I do like the character of these lenses, but am wondering about the look. I have a bunch of Carl Zeiss lenses (QBM mount converted to PL) and they look quick "vintage" (low contrast, bit softer). I am looking for a set of lenses that have more contrast and sharpness. I've been reading different opinions on the RedUser forum. Some say there are quite contrast-y and really sharp. Or does this depend on getting the C/N vs. the C lenses you did? Do you have some insight on the contrast and sharpness? (@Aatmos and @Asyndeton)

I had a Mamiya 645, lenses were soft compared to the Zeiss MF lenses on the Contax 654. Personally, I would not waste my time trying to adapt them to a video camera. You are only using a small portion of the image circle, and not getting the full character of the lens.
    Cheers

I have some Mamiya 645 Sekor C's, I love them and mine are pretty sharp on the UM4K. Some frame grabs from a recent project I did, if I recall correctly its the 35mm, 35mm, 55mm and then 80mm:

THORNBUSHES_SCREENGRABS_1.12.1.jpg
    THORNBUSHES_SCREENGRABS_1.13.1.jpg
    THORNBUSHES_SCREENGRABS_1.4.1.T.jpg
    THORNBUSHES_SCREENGRABS_1.2.1.T.jpg

I've read about people going through multiple copies of the 80mm to find 'the right one' but I don't have that kind of money and like how mine performs.

Nice, but I still,think investing in the SLR APOs with the interchangeable EF/PL Mount is a better investment in the long range, and is the direction I would pick.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Asyndeton View Post
    I have some Mamiya 645 Sekor C's, I love them and mine are pretty sharp on the UM4K. Some frame grabs from a recent project I did, if I recall correctly its the 35mm, 35mm, 55mm and then 80mm:

THORNBUSHES_SCREENGRABS_1.12.1.jpg
    THORNBUSHES_SCREENGRABS_1.13.1.jpg
    THORNBUSHES_SCREENGRABS_1.4.1.T.jpg
    THORNBUSHES_SCREENGRABS_1.2.1.T.jpg

I've read about people going through multiple copies of the 80mm to find 'the right one' but I don't have that kind of money and like how mine performs.
    Thanks a bunch! I really like the out of focus parts. However, it's hard to judge the actual sharpness based on these shots.

Anyhow, I already ordered an adapter from Les Bosher and a 55mm and 80mm (both C/N). I'll compare them side to side with my Carl Zeiss lenses (cinemodded Rollei QBM to PL-mount). I'm hoping that the Mamiya have a bit more sharpness and contrast compared to the Zeiss... we'll see

@Denny: Unfortunately a set of SLR Apo's are out of the question. A full set of cinemodded Mamiya lenses are just under € 1000. That doesn't even buy me 1 SLR Apo lens... I guess I'll just buy, mod and test (and sell) different lenses till I find a set that I like.

Well, that is one way to go, and a good way to,lean about different lens IQ. I did a similar thing when shooting medium format film, tried Mamiya, Contax, and finally settled on Rolle, with Zeiss lenses.

I have to admit, I have been guilty of doing the same thing. The APOs have the advantage of being a “long term” investment however, as they have a wide FOV also and can be used on Full Frame 135mm. Good luck with your project.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 02-26-2018 at 08:07 PM.

I recently shot a project using a rehoused Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 and Mamiya Sekor-C 80 f/1.9 & 110 f/2.8.

Krzystof from c7adaptors made PL mount replacements for each of my Sekor-C lenses (35/3.5, 45.2.8, 55/2.8, 70/2.8, 80/2.8, 80/1.9, 110/2.8). Like the Leitax lenses, I place them over the original mount and screw them in. Rock solid!

I love the character of the lenses, are small and light, and they cut well with the Nikon. Another advantage of owning a set of these lenses is that it's totally conceivable that in 10 years (or less) I may be shooting on a much larger sensor than my current UM4.6k.

Good point, if you like the lens and the image you get, then go fo it. Having a choice is always good.
    Cheers

Attachment 25808
    Finished modding my set (except step-up rings). Pictures are sharp and still creamy. Will do a promo tomorrow with these :-)
    Last edited by Ruben de Boer; 03-09-2018 at 01:59 PM.

How do you guys compare these to the super takumars? The 50mm 1.4 takumar is raved as one of the most interesting lens of its era. Some even go as far as saying it's the poor man's cooke look.