Thread: NAB 2017 DaVinci Resolve 14

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by rick.lang View Post
    Sending in a dongle!? Pretty ridiculous approach for anyone who has registered their cameras that included a dongle. Your camera serial number would verify that you have a dongle. Second-hand purchases would complicate that so I can see if you have bought/sold the camera, they might ask for a recent photo of the camera and proof of a serial number.
    I totally agree with Rick. The serial number is unique enough and follows the current camera owner. Requiring photo of the camera and serial number on it is okay too. You cannot turn in your dongle because if you decide to downgrade to v12 or older, or even have a need to do so, you will need your dongle.
    Last edited by EYu; 05-18-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    I don't see how it would be fair. This is simply how any product works. You buy a product at the price presented to you, if that changes for better or worse at a later point the company has no responsibility for that but most will refund you the difference out of good will if the purchase and price shift was reletively close. BM want more people to use the studio version, a great way to ensure that doesn't happen is to make people pay each time there's an upgrade. I'd say the dongles and the liscense codes are now essentially the same thing, dongles may even go by the wayside on new products that previously came with one and instead have a code inside.
    It is fair to me. Those with dongles should get a lifetime license code because the dongles were lifetime keys. Those to purchased starting with Resolve 14 can pay the $299 and if there will be upgrade fees, hopefully it is very reasonable (like $29.99) and only for major release number (i.e. Resolve 15, 16), free for minor updates (i.e. Resolve 14.1, 15.0.3).

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    It is fair to me. Those with dongles should get a lifetime license code because the dongles were lifetime keys. Those to purchased starting with Resolve 14 can pay the $299 and if there will be upgrade fees, hopefully it is very reasonable (like $29.99) and only for major release number (i.e. Resolve 15, 16), free for minor updates (i.e. Resolve 14.1, 15.0.3).
    and why shouldn't purchasing Resolve now be a lifetime key? even at 299? The dongles should remain lifelong keys but I don't see why paying 300 dollars for a product would warrant further payment pending updates. Simply make the updates so good that others adopt your program.

I know that I may actually front up the money for a full resolve if I know that I get a lifetime key, otherwise I will not.

i had budgeted 2k each for two seats of v14 thinking / hopeing it would have Fusion rolled in, basicly two v12/v8 dongles wrapped together

so yea $299 means every machine get it's own licence now.....

no sweat paying for upgrades if they are worthy, and Resolve's have been hitting a far higher bar than just "worthy"....

i kept my MC dongles, they are current, if i let them fall behind then i will have to pay for the intermediate software updates i missed anyway.

Foundry does the same with Nuke, i have not updated those licences since 2012, and it's now chaper to buy a new licence than to upgrade my existing licences... so far there's been little reason with my workflow to update NukeX from 6.02 fortunatly.... and the support i didn't pay to Foundry for updates that wouldnt improve my workflow substaintly is significant

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    and why shouldn't purchasing Resolve now be a lifetime key? even at 299? The dongles should remain lifelong keys but I don't see why paying 300 dollars for a product would warrant further payment pending updates. Simply make the updates so good that others adopt your program.

I know that I may actually front up the money for a full resolve if I know that I get a lifetime key, otherwise I will not.
    Well, I was thinking only about the dongle to license conversion program and because I paid $995 for it. If BMD makes the $299 license lifeltime I have no problem with that as well. That would be awesome. We'll have to see what BMD will do.

The lower price does give it more of an App feel and I expect Resolve Studio 14 will be sold on the Mac App Store. Just speculation on my part, but the product likely will be lifetime as we know it. The uncertainty is if a pruduct is released that closely integrates Resolve/Fairlight with Fusion and other products potentially. With such a complete one-stop shopping App, it might be rebranded as simply Studio Suite and as a new product it may require a new purchase.

Just upgraded my Davinci 12.5 to 14...running on windows 7 (yeh I know its not officially supported). However I'm having an issue with jagged edges (stair stepping) in the display monitor of the colour section. It's as if the monitor setting (in settings section) is set to basic...But its not set to basic, its set to bilinear which usually gets rid of those jagged edges in Resolve 12.5. Setting to Bilinear in D14 seems to do nothing. Anyone else have that issue?
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos