Thread: Help with a practical effect

1. #1 Help with a practical effect 
    Hi guys. I think this is an appropriate forum to get advice on film making from experienced users. I'm shooting a music video where helium balloons have faces drawn on with sharpies. At various points the balloons need to pop on camera. I've been thinking of how I can pop the balloon without seeing a contraption. I'm not pro at VFX and wire removal so I'm hoping to find a way to pop these inconspicuously. Any help would be appreciated!

Ive done it before with a bb gun when the balllond were far from talent.

Quote Originally Posted by robmneilson View Post
    Ive done it before with a bb gun when the balllond were far from talent.
    Great idea. Do you have any footage of how that looked?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronChicago View Post
    Great idea. Do you have any footage of how that looked?
    It was a long while ago on a friends project, so don't have it at my disposal. Just need to find an angle where you can hide the bb as much as possible and it works fine. Might work with an airsoft gun too.

Senior Member Revdesign Industries's Avatar
    Will the Helium balloons have string (i assume they would). If so you could use thin dual guage wire running up the strings with an even thinner guage spanning betweeen the "positive" and "negative" wire. This tiny thin wire needs to be in contact with the balloon, at the base of the inflated balloon would hide it just fine. Touch the other end of the wires to a 9v battery or stronger and pop. (small guage wire heats up very rapiidly like a filament causing the balloon to burst. You can wire multiple balloons to a board it nails acting as switches and choose when and which balloons pop on command. This isn't much different than how you would ignite squibs or other "pop" effects.

More setup time than a bb gun but less chance for an accident. A rigid balloon can deflect a weaker powered airsoft bb ever so slightly even if it pops it, meaning you get some unexpected potential ricochet. Steel bb gun would pass right through
    Forrest Schultz
    Atlas Lens Co.
    YouTube///Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by Revdesign Industries View Post
    Will the Helium balloons have string (i assume they would). If so you could use thin dual guage wire running up the strings with an even thinner guage spanning betweeen the "positive" and "negative" wire. This tiny thin wire needs to be in contact with the balloon, at the base of the inflated balloon would hide it just fine. Touch the other end of the wires to a 9v battery or stronger and pop. (small guage wire heats up very rapiidly like a filament causing the balloon to burst. You can wire multiple balloons to a board it nails acting as switches and choose when and which balloons pop on command. This isn't much different than how you would ignite squibs or other "pop" effects.

More setup time than a bb gun but less chance for an accident. A rigid balloon can deflect a weaker powered airsoft bb ever so slightly even if it pops it, meaning you get some unexpected potential ricochet. Steel bb gun would pass right through
    Great idea as well. I'm going to test out an airsoft gun and see if i notice the pellet. If so I'll definitely try this solution.

You will probably catch the pellet in a couple of frames depending on the angle, but it would be the kind of thing that was quite simple to roto out.