Thread: Help with a practical effect

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1 Help with a practical effect 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    760
    Hi guys. I think this is an appropriate forum to get advice on film making from experienced users. I'm shooting a music video where helium balloons have faces drawn on with sharpies. At various points the balloons need to pop on camera. I've been thinking of how I can pop the balloon without seeing a contraption. I'm not pro at VFX and wire removal so I'm hoping to find a way to pop these inconspicuously. Any help would be appreciated!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,073
    Ive done it before with a bb gun when the balllond were far from talent.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by robmneilson View Post
    Ive done it before with a bb gun when the balllond were far from talent.
    Great idea. Do you have any footage of how that looked?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronChicago View Post
    Great idea. Do you have any footage of how that looked?
    It was a long while ago on a friends project, so don't have it at my disposal. Just need to find an angle where you can hide the bb as much as possible and it works fine. Might work with an airsoft gun too.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Revdesign Industries's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    403
    Will the Helium balloons have string (i assume they would). If so you could use thin dual guage wire running up the strings with an even thinner guage spanning betweeen the "positive" and "negative" wire. This tiny thin wire needs to be in contact with the balloon, at the base of the inflated balloon would hide it just fine. Touch the other end of the wires to a 9v battery or stronger and pop. (small guage wire heats up very rapiidly like a filament causing the balloon to burst. You can wire multiple balloons to a board it nails acting as switches and choose when and which balloons pop on command. This isn't much different than how you would ignite squibs or other "pop" effects.

    More setup time than a bb gun but less chance for an accident. A rigid balloon can deflect a weaker powered airsoft bb ever so slightly even if it pops it, meaning you get some unexpected potential ricochet. Steel bb gun would pass right through
    Forrest Schultz
    Atlas Lens Co.
    YouTube///Vimeo
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by Revdesign Industries View Post
    Will the Helium balloons have string (i assume they would). If so you could use thin dual guage wire running up the strings with an even thinner guage spanning betweeen the "positive" and "negative" wire. This tiny thin wire needs to be in contact with the balloon, at the base of the inflated balloon would hide it just fine. Touch the other end of the wires to a 9v battery or stronger and pop. (small guage wire heats up very rapiidly like a filament causing the balloon to burst. You can wire multiple balloons to a board it nails acting as switches and choose when and which balloons pop on command. This isn't much different than how you would ignite squibs or other "pop" effects.

    More setup time than a bb gun but less chance for an accident. A rigid balloon can deflect a weaker powered airsoft bb ever so slightly even if it pops it, meaning you get some unexpected potential ricochet. Steel bb gun would pass right through
    Great idea as well. I'm going to test out an airsoft gun and see if i notice the pellet. If so I'll definitely try this solution.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    251
    You will probably catch the pellet in a couple of frames depending on the angle, but it would be the kind of thing that was quite simple to roto out.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Practical DOF calculation with BMPCC and Speed Booster
    By eswaranb in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-28-2016, 01:57 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-24-2016, 08:40 AM
  3. A practical telephoto to match sigma 18-35
    By Danji in forum Lens Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-28-2016, 04:07 AM
  4. Practical use of an Ipad with BMCC and on Set
    By sermini in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-29-2015, 12:41 PM
  5. Daylight practical bulbs?
    By jsfilmz in forum Cinematography
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 02:50 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •