Thread: HIghlight and shadow rolloff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 HIghlight and shadow rolloff 
    Wondering how other people handle rolloffs in Resolve. Both the highlight and the shadow sides of it.

I'm shooting primarily the small sensor BM cameras which I think are all somewhat similar, always shooting RAW.

I first set the absolute white or black using the Waveform Scope then adjust color and general scene balance with the Primary Color Wheels. From there I take a second step in the Log Color Wheels using LR and HR to smooth the rolloff. After a few back and forths I pretty quickly find a primary grade I like.

Would love to hear how other people handle this.

raw into ACEScct, adjsut exposure / contrast / pivot, then tweak with log highlights/shadows

Other than using ACES my routine is similar though I tend to adjust contrast more with the wheels and pivot these days. Seems like over the past few years my routine isn't so routine, always changing. Well maybe not that dramatic.

I've never adjusted pivot because I don't know what it does! But if do grade using offset at times and always grade referring to the parade waveforms.
    Last edited by rick.lang; 04-17-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rick.lang View Post
    I've never adjuste pivot because I don't know what it does! But if do grade using offset at times and always grade referring to the parade waveforms.
    Pivot changes the point where your adjustments are anchored. Kind of like in AE where you want to resent a motion in someplace other than the center. It helps with contrast and moving the curve to weigh more heavily on the toe or the shoulder. I've been adjusting this way for a while now and am thinking seriously about that Mini panel to speed this up. Also finally learning how to save looks to speed up my initial grade on a set of clips, returning for more detail only once I'm invested in the clip.

Really interested in how others work. You can get lost in the grade that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rick.lang View Post
    I've never adjuste pivot because I don't know what it does! But if do grade using offset at times and always grade referring to the parade waveforms.
    You won't see what pivot does until you set the contrast adjustment to something other than the default value of 1.0.

If we think if contrast as an S-curve, then pivot is like moving that center anchor point around.
    Aaron Lochert

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrington View Post
    Wondering how other people handle rolloffs in Resolve. Both the highlight and the shadow sides of it.

I'm shooting primarily the small sensor BM cameras which I think are all somewhat similar, always shooting RAW.

I first set the absolute white or black using the Waveform Scope then adjust color and general scene balance with the Primary Color Wheels. From there I take a second step in the Log Color Wheels using LR and HR to smooth the rolloff. After a few back and forths I pretty quickly find a primary grade I like.

Would love to hear how other people handle this.
    I tend to do the highlights a lot like this...but shadows I will handle as many as 5 different ways depending on the scene and what I want from it - so much possible range and variety there.

I've been using custom curves for the shadow range more and more lately.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Good to see you check in on this DP. Know you have a lot of experience with this. I've seen you speak of similar topic in the past mentioning how much more control we have compared to the past.

I come from a stills past with the first a largest chunk of those years of that being transparency film. Luckily the main color separator was housed across the parking lot from my studio. That was in the days when Sitex Scanners were state of the art. They spent a great deal of time teaching me how they dealt with the roll off and little things like small bumps in the shadow or highlights. They called that 'Quarter Toning'. Though the tools have changed I still use what I learned there a great deal. It's mostly custom curves. But that does not give me what I'm looking for in the extreme shoulder or toe. That's where the Log Color Wheels come in. Curious that you don't use them in the Shadows.

Thanks for the explanations re pivot. I need to look into Log Colour Wheels too. I'm definitely challenged by highlight rolloff shooting outdoors under bright conditions now that we finally have consistently sunny days again!

Rick, that's where I've found using the Log window of the wheels helps the most. You can ease the rolloff so it's nice a gradual holding all that detail from a backlit sunny day. As long as you have not clipped it at initial exposure.