Thread: White Balancing the BMD Cameras

1. #1 White Balancing the BMD Cameras 
    One of my frustration is white balancing the BMPCC and big URSA cameras when I'm on the road or on set. I always have to resort to WB in Post because I can't find a simple, effective, and fast way to white balance in cameras with a custom setting. I'm not saying I can't WB but it takes too much time to use a gray card and light meter to test and set exposures when I have multiple areas with mixed light to shoot and the shoots are always in a rush (time crunch). Just wondering what you guys do that makes WB simple, fast, and effective. If you say use a light meter, well try not to respond because I've been doing that and as I said, it still takes time. I don't know why BMD never added a custom WB setting at all.

If you shoot RAW you can do that after the fact. Likely one of the best reasons to shoot RAW. Get it within reason and roll footage.

That's not to say you just rely on deciding in post. I'm sure that most people shooting this way are very accurate with both their initial color settings as well as their exposures.

With the Pocket camera get a photo grey card, stick it in the set where you want the WB, then adjust the co,or,temp with the menu until the grey card matches the little grey strip on the bottom of the camera LCD (bottom menu bar). This will get the approx color balance set to get white from a white card, which you can use to double check to see if the balance is close. This get the WB close enough to tweak it further in post, even with a ProRes recording. This is the quickest WB method wi the Pocket camera.
    Cheers

On the BMPCC I do it by eye and haven't ever really had a problem with color temp. I usually find it needs a little tint offset, but there is not a way around that as it isn't adjustable in camera.

There are two ways I do it by eye... one, just look at the lighting and guess at the kelvin (I can usually get close enough) or if I am using a monitor with a LUT, just adjust kelvin until it looks close.

Thanks all for your reply. With the exception of Denny little trick on the BMPCC using the grey strip in camera to match a grey card, I've eyeball it, measure with light meters, and used grey cards all the time. I shoot raw and does the WB in Resolve thereafter. I get exposure and WB pretty close but all this manual process is tedious at the time when in-camera AWB and custom WB are inherent with most cameras these days. I guess since you all validated what I have been doing, it’s same old stuff with the BMD cameras.

Set yourself free.

Just use WB presets.

I shoot 5600k or 3200k most of the time with tints set to match cameras.

Sometimes I shoot 2600k for DFN.

That's it. Just let the WB float. Why worry about WB when it's a constantly changing thing anyway.

Set to a preset and then light to that WB.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Set yourself free.

Just use WB presets.

I shoot 5600k or 3200k most of the time with tints set to match cameras.

Sometimes I shoot 2600k for DFN.

That's it. Just let the WB float. Why worry about WB when it's a constantly changing thing anyway.

Set to a preset and then light to that WB.

JB
    Like that. Simple, fast, and worry free. Thanks John.

On my last exterior shoot, it was a relatively overcast day, so I used the URSA Mini 4.6K Auto WB by pointing the camera at an evenly grey sky. It said 5650K with tint 29. Went with that shooting raw 3:1 and the results were fine as a starting point. In post, I just used primary adjustments for the colour I wanted.

Normally I do use the presets as John mentioned, but when the cloud cover looks like a grey card, it's a pretty interesting way to get the tint right on my camera. When I use the preset I'm not confident about the tint. When I use a white piece of paper, the tint values with Auto WB are much more aggressive than any preset values. I also eyeball the Kelvin but struggle with my own tint estimates.

Thanks a lots to share your view regarding the camera features .