Thread: Problem with BMMCC 5v output. HELP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Problem with BMMCC 5v output. HELP! 
    Hello all!
    How are you?

Been following lots of threads here on bmmcc and sbus, preparing for building my own controller. I bought my BMMCC a few days ago and I couldn't be happier. Now I'm trying to build a controller for it, bought everything, the arduino pro mini, all!

My problem is this: I am NOT getting 5v from the pin 14. I get 0, nothing. So nothing is working. I am very afraid it could be a factory issue and I live very far away so exchanging it is not an option for now. I measured all the ports and the Lanc Data port gives me 4.8v, but this is not enough for the Arduino pro mini to boot up. Nothing else gives me 5v.

Please, oh please any help?
    Thank you SO much in advanced.

EDIT: After a lot of issues I managed to supply the arduino a regulated input of 11v provided by Lanc power. It works! But I have no idea why I dont have 5 volts though... anyone run into this problem?
    Last edited by tonybeccar; 04-12-2017 at 11:11 PM.

but LANC is about 5V too, not 11. check this test: Maybe you just use wrong pin?
    http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?19...l=1#post231380

Look carefully the pins, you most likely have connected to wrong pin.
    LeViteZer Smooths the movement, www.levitezer.com

Thank you for your replies, really!

I checked the pin tons of times, I'm at the same ones as you. I checked the BM website as the box has the incorrect orientations. From pin 14 I am getting 0v read, and from pin 10 (lanc power) I'm getting 11.1v, weird? I am using this one to power the arduino now...

Also still trying to figure out how to make the controller work hehe... I bought the 18 position joystick from Parallax, cool! I have everything wired up, buttons responding, but the camera is not recognizing the sbus commands. I may be using the wrong inverter? I bought the 74HC04N. Maybe open another thread?

So I just found that pin 4 doesn't work as ground either, nothing. I had to use another one. I don't know if the SBUS pin 2 works! How can I test that? Should I get a voltage from it? How much?

When I first started working with the controller I plugged in the 15 pin socket to the camera and there plugged and unplugged cables. I think I shorted it 2 times, the camera restarted. Could I have messed everything up there? (one would have to define "messed")

Still not getting the 5v through pin 14, i was measuring the LANC wrong though, getting 5v through there, but half the mah. Getting 1.8v from the SBUS pin, hope it's working. Though when I connect the output from the inverter voltage drops down to 0.02 and nothing happens in camera...
    Last edited by tonybeccar; 04-13-2017 at 11:28 PM.

couple of things:

the sbus pin is pulled low on a signal (ie inverted logic) - if you're running an sbus command you should actually see the voltage flicker between low and high though it might be too fast for a multimeter
    the invertor sounds like its doing the rigtht thing (ie if your pumping 5v in to it - high, it should invert that to low)

The sbus pin needs powered from the controller side - ie the pin on the camera will be low until you apply a 5v signal to it (inverted or not - you use an invertor so the arduino code or whatever can be written 'normally' - ie a data bit of 1 is HIGH, 0 is LOW then the invertor swaps that around) - I wouldn't expect it to be HIGH from the camera end since its a one way street

are you attenpting to run the SBUS library code I wrote for the arduino? if you run the test sketch that's in the examples folder it should definitely work if you have stuff wired up properlu

Hey stelvis!!

I actually got the controller working a short while ago, and yes I used your code!! thanks mate!!
    The problem I was facing, I assume was something wrong with the wiring. I was powering the controller with the camera, going into the raw pin of the arduino, and then going into the sbus pin. What I did was disconnect all the pins from the camera, put the squid cable provided by BM, plugged the arduino into the 5v usb from my laptop and only go to the cam with the official sbus cable. It worked like a charm, so happy now. Maybe I wired the ground wrong? Will see when I assemble with my custom case.

Still, the main problem with this thread persists, I am not getting 5v from pin 14, I'm getting 0 .
    Also I was measuring wrong before, I am indeed getting 5v out of pin 10, and 160mah aprox, half of what I should with the other pin, hope it's enough.

So I bought the parallax 5 position joystick (which provides 17 different actual positions). It is a bit stiff as it is very small and has to have many many positions. But putting some delays into the code fixes multiple position "presses". Will post my results when the controller is finished, just a joystick . I will be building a custom very tiny case to go with the new smallrig wooden handle.

Thank you for answering!
    Cheers!!

cool

yeah, managing the physical control input with appropriate debounce routines is definitely the hard part of this sort of thing (for those not familiar debounce deals with the fact that when pressing a button it's generally not cleanly on or off - theres usually a small moment in the middle of a push or release where its rapidly switching between both states)

Alright!!! Everything working now... I feel so stupid. Indeed I had the wrong pins. I was looking at the pin diagram, but at the FEMALE port!!!! I had to look at the MALE plug port.. jesus!!! And then when it plugs it's all backwards.. so happy now! Controller working!! Will build the case now

Thank you all and sorry for the trouble!!