Thread: Quasar Science LED Tubes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Quasar Science LED Tubes 
    I think this has been mentioned here before but I just got ahold of Quasar Science's 4 ft Dimmable LED flourescent bulb. It seems pretty simple but this could be my favorite light that I own. For starters its extremely light. You can gaffer tape it to a ceiling or wall. Mount one or two on a stand with a cardellini clamp. I bought a $10 dimmer on Amazon that goes from 0-100. They make 3000k, 5600K, and bi-color switchable.
    They also fit into Kino Flo bases, and common household fluorescent fixtures.
    Right now I have the one 3000K 4' dimmable bulb, but am ordering 1 more 3000K and 2 5600K. CRI is 95+ btw.
    $75 for the light and 2 pin plug adapter.
    www.quasarscience.com

http://imgur.com/a/TCoZq
    Last edited by AaronChicago; 04-12-2017 at 05:27 PM.

Can you do me a favor and meter for ISO 800 24fps from 3' away?

I'm curious how the direct T8 replacements compare to the crossfade versions.
    Aaron Lochert

Hey Aaron. Did you purchase these straight through quasar or through another seller? Ive tried to contact Hotrod camera but they dont respond.

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    Can you do me a favor and meter for ISO 800 24fps from 3' away?

I'm curious how the direct T8 replacements compare to the crossfade versions.
    No problem. I'm getting F16 at ISO800 24fps 1/48 shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by j_walk83 View Post
    Hey Aaron. Did you purchase these straight through quasar or through another seller? Ive tried to contact Hotrod camera but they dont respond.
    Yeah I purchased them straight through Quasar. It's a bit of a process. You have to email them with your order request. They email back a quote about 3 days later. Then you approve and they send a credit card payment invoice. Mine shipped the next day but it took about 5 days to get from LA to Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronChicago View Post
    Yeah I purchased them straight through Quasar. It's a bit of a process. You have to email them with your order request. They email back a quote about 3 days later. Then you approve and they send a credit card payment invoice. Mine shipped the next day but it took about 5 days to get from LA to Chicago.

Nice. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by AaronChicago View Post
    No problem. I'm getting F16 at ISO800 24fps 1/48 shutter.
    That is actually quite impressive.

Seems pretty much in line with the crossfades. Which means for the price, you could buy four of these things if you're okay with a set color temp. Or buy two 3000K and two 5600K for twice the output and still have almost as much flexibility.
    Aaron Lochert

Senior Member Revdesign Industries's Avatar
    this might be a silly question, as a replacement in fluorescent fixtures, do i need a override the ballast and just supply straight 120ac

here's a more straightforward question, if i built a unit to power these lights, what kind of power options do i need to accommodate for.
    Forrest Schultz
    Atlas Lens Co.
    YouTube///Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    That is actually quite impressive.

Seems pretty much in line with the crossfades. Which means for the price, you could buy four of these things if you're okay with a set color temp. Or buy two 3000K and two 5600K for twice the output and still have almost as much flexibility.
    That's what I was thinking too. Getting 4 seems like a better option. Especially since they're so light.

Quote Originally Posted by Revdesign Industries View Post
    this might be a silly question, as a replacement in fluorescent fixtures, do i need a override the ballast and just supply straight 120ac

here's a more straightforward question, if i built a unit to power these lights, what kind of power options do i need to accommodate for.
    To be honest I don't know a lot about voltage, etc, but I know for a fact that you can just put these in normal fluorescent fixtures if they accommodate for T8 size (most do). Here's a video where Hot Rod Camera explains it in depth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Augk09UI0NQ