Thread: Now that Nvidia Pascal cards run on OS X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Now that Nvidia Pascal cards run on OS X 
    Now that Nvidia has made the 1000 series Pascal drivers available for OS X, talk me out of cheaping out and just going with the 1080 vs the 1080 Ti

Currently using a GTX 970 in my Hackintosh.

Bummed out that these are only for Hack's or laptops running 3rd part expansion boxes.

Or in a cheesegrater.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Or in a cheesegrater.
    pcie2 in the cheesgrater would seem to be a gag there.

Do Mackintosh's still need flashed GPUs to achieve full PCI speeds like on a regular Mac Pro?

Upon further review it looks like they'll run on a cheesegrater as long as it's from mid 2010 on and running 10.12.4. Looks like I'm finally going to upgrade. Thinking about bumping the CPU as well.

We beefed up two cheesegraters (model 5,1) last year and they run really well with the Titan-X. Now, with the new drivers, I don't doubt they'd run as well with a Pascal card. I'm afraid the prices of those old, but sturdy boxes with rise…

We beefed up two cheesegraters (model 5,1) last year and they run really well with the Titan-X. Now, with the new drivers, I don't doubt they'd run as well with a Pascal card. I'm afraid the prices of those old, but sturdy boxes with rise…
    I was seeing 12 cores go for $1500 on ebay without drives or much ram but that's a pretty good deal.

We paid about 1,100 € for the Intel Xeon X5690, at current exchange rates your price seems a bit high.

Curios did you flash the Titan so it would give you a startup screen? I've been running a flashed GTX 770 from macvidcards.com that has worked super well for three or four years. My needs are larger now so I'm ready for a GPU upgrade. Personally I'm thinking about a 1080ti. Wondering if I heed a flashed card or not? I'm no wiz on this stuff and would love to hear your thoughts.

FYI looking at eBay seeing 5,1 12's with 5690's starting prices at $1500 going up from there. I just have the 5650's and am thinking of upgrading the CPU's as well.