Thread: switching to BM camera from others

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 switching to BM camera from others 
    I have been looking for a personal camera for shooting zero budget shorts. I was about to buy something like an FS700 or F3, but for the same price I can get a BMMCC setup. My concern is that the traditional camera setup works well for me. For instance a one button last scene review. Is the BMMCC going to be too fiddly for someone who is used to a regular camera? (aside from the different sensor sizes)

pressing the play button puts you in playback mode. when you're done, pressing record once puts you back in camera mode.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: VIMEO

Thanks, that's easy enough. Howabout things like gain or white balance/temp? how tedious is it to use the menus?

White balance/temp is so simple to use with blackmagic vs other cameras. Just tap the temp on the screen an adjust. No looking through menus to modify a pre-set.

Today I was color correcting some C300M2 footage for an edit, and was a bit bummed when I was not able to get home hot highlights (out of a window) back in Resolve like I can with the 4.6 mini.

You should definitely test the BMMCC for yourself before you listen to me or anyone else, but IMO going into the menus and changing settings with the buttons is just the worst experience I've ever had with a camera.

I've never used one of the remotes that people build and/or sell, but I hear it makes the user experience much better.

The camera is great, but I think the button design and their location is not ideal.

I would use it with an Ikan vl35 and loupe (i'm old school and want to keep my eye up to a viewfinder) so no touchscreen.

I'm in Ne PA. what's the closest dealer that would have one to play with ?

Two conversations going on here...just to be clear, the BM touchscreens are fantastic, the best. Changing settings on them for the OTHER cameras is as straightforward as you can get.

The BMMCC has physical buttons you press in. And it doesn't come with a monitor.

Not sure about PA, but the camera is on display at B&H in the camera section if you're ever in New York. You can also rent one for around $50 for one day from most of the online places.

The BMCC 2.5K is a great camera. You'll have to build a rig around it though. The new GH5 is in the same price range as the BMCC.

A Sony FS700/F3 vs a BMMCC? Sort of opposite ends of the spectrum, I'd have to say. Do you need built in NDs, XLRs, low light performance, a S35 sensor and high frame rates and easy access to buttons? Pick the Sony. I know people on this forum poo-poo Sony for their colors and 8 bit codecs, but I shot on an FS700 for a while and thought image quality was good (and it was great with a Odyssey 7Q or Shogun). Menu's on a sony tend to be a little crazy compared to minimalist menus on BMD cameras, but once you get used to them it's great to have lots of customizability and such.

But the FS700 & F3 are not small cameras by any sense. The F3 has an FZ mount which isn't quite as nice to work with as the emount. Do you need something small that can shoot RAW or prores for heavier grading? A BMMCC is a much better choice. You can fly a BMMCC on one of those one handed gimbals compared to pretty much needing a full sized ronin for the FS700 or F3

I'm used to big cameras. It's mainly image quality I'm after. Low light is not a big issue because I light my sets.
    I have lens sets for super 35 (Rokinon and Nikkor with FZ mount) and can use the Rokinon with speedbooster if I get a 10mm. ( Also have some PL and Arri mt lenses in 16mm)
    60P is adequate for this use, so either cam will do that. I've talked myself out of internal ND, though it is nice to have.