Thread: Ursa mini pro stills

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Ursa mini pro stills 
    Hello,

I have my ursa mini pro on backorder (came from dslr's), but I have a photoshoot coming up in a couple of weeks. Now I do not have any dslr's at the moment right now anymore, but I read that you could take stills with the ursa mini pro as well.
    How is the quality? Good enough to create/print a poster?

Thanks!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    Hello,

I have my ursa mini pro on backorder (came from dslr's), but I have a photoshoot coming up in a couple of weeks. Now I do not have any dslr's at the moment right now anymore, but I read that you could take stills with the ursa mini pro as well.
    How is the quality? Good enough to create/print a poster?

Thanks!

Cheers!
    It's just doing a single DNG Frame, Mostly to use onset if you think it would a good shot for something. I would not take an URSA mini pro to a photo shoot. You might want to rent a DSLR

I've been using the beta Mini 4.6k on a still/video combo shoot and in natural light condition I'm preferring that over a dSLR.

What resolution does it shoot at? Same as video? More bit depth? Any examples that you could upload?

Thanks!

I'd be curious to see some side by side comparisons as well. I guess I'd never think the Ursa would compete with a DSLR but am very curious to see.

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    What resolution does it shoot at? Same as video? More bit depth? Any examples that you could upload?

Thanks!
    I think its shooting 4.6k raw. I will double check when I get home if no one replied by then.

I don't see why you couldn't. I remember seeing a photographer for vogue talk about pulling selects from his Red One and using them for publication. Heck Red has a whole section devoted to its cameras being used as stills cameras. Granted most of them are Red Epic and above but 4.6k is close enough to 5k for me

Vogue has been using footage from Red for their glossy fashion prints for years. I doubt that a UM46 would be inferior to a Red One!

Many shooters like to have such fast series to choose from. You may want to change the exposure time, though. DNG sequences ARE stills!

If shooting DNG's for fashion, I am thinking one would want to shoot at the highest frame rate possible to curtail motion blur. In 4.6K RAW, I believe you can get 60 fps.

I think the Ursa Mini would do ok for a natural light photoshoot (it has more dynamic range than most Canon DSLRs, for example). Flash sync and autofocus (REDs and the Ursa Mini don't have them) are the biggest deterrent from using them on a photoshoot, as well as form factor (try shooting in portrait mode with a 4.6k). I could live without autofocus (although it would be a pain on some shoots where you are moving around a lot), but no flash sync would be a deal breaker for me. High End fashion shoots can get away with it because they are using high powered HMIs, but even a $50 speedlight is more powerful than a $10k Arri M18.

I think using cinema cameras for stills is more of a specialty thing. You may have a good reason to use one, but more often than not, it is not the right tool for the job.