Thread: Anybody have trouble with audio inputs not working on the ursa mini?

1. #1 Anybody have trouble with audio inputs not working on the ursa mini? 
    I never really use my audio inputs, but as I approach the end of my warranty I wonder how significantly it would hurt the resale value of the camera if I don't get it fixed.

Usually the sound department will record sound externally, but I've recorded into the ursa mini at least one time for an interview. Since then, I've had two separate jobs where two separate sound departments have tried to plug in, and neither of them were able to get any levels, even with the UM audio dials at 100% and trying every possible variable in the audio menus. Luckily both jobs they were prepared to record externally and just tried in-camera for post ease, but has anyone else had this issue? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is the only option an RMA?

The XLR inputs of my Mini 4.6 were dead, when I got it. It was one from the first batch and it was a known issue. I made an RMA and they sent me a new unit. If I was you I'd do the same, because why should you loose money because you can only resell it with a broken sound part?
    Christian Haake / cinematographer / Austria / www.christianhaake.net / Reel: https://vimeo.com/208444259

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Haake View Post
    The XLR inputs of my Mini 4.6 were dead, when I got it. It was one from the first batch and it was a known issue. I made an RMA and they sent me a new unit. If I was you I'd do the same, because why should you loose money because you can only resell it with a broken sound part?
    Thanks Christian, I'll probably do the same

Now I'm wondering if I should check mine, I've never used the audio on the URSA mini

I would, while it is still in warranty.
    Cheers

Definitely possible that the XLRs are dead. Do the internal mics work? Did you test both XLR ports? Do you have an XLR mic you can test it with? I'd check things like Line/Mic level + phantom power.

There is also a setting that determines which channel the XLRs are routed to. For instance, I often only have the mic plugged in on the left XLR, but I route that signal to both the left and the right channel. I've plugged the XLR into the right channel before and didn't get any sound until I changed the routing for the left and right channels to pull from the right XLR.

These are all pretty basic sound settings though, so I'd assume the XLRs are dead, though, since I'd imagine any sound guy would have figured out those settings in about 5 seconds (or at least any sound guy that I'd want to hire)

Is this issue specific to the UM46K only?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrycel View Post
    I never really use my audio inputs, but as I approach the end of my warranty I wonder how significantly it would hurt the resale value of the camera if I don't get it fixed.

Usually the sound department will record sound externally, but I've recorded into the ursa mini at least one time for an interview. Since then, I've had two separate jobs where two separate sound departments have tried to plug in, and neither of them were able to get any levels, even with the UM audio dials at 100% and trying every possible variable in the audio menus. Luckily both jobs they were prepared to record externally and just tried in-camera for post ease, but has anyone else had this issue? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is the only option an RMA?
    The preamps on my Ursa Mini 4.6k blew out six months after I purchased it, I RMA'd it and had a new camera in hand within a week. Just my opinion, but I think you should get it fixed while its still under warranty. :-)

Shawn