Thread: My webpage, shot almost entirely on a BMPCC

1. #1 My webpage, shot almost entirely on a BMPCC 
    I've been shooting video for a while to incorporate into my webpage. Finally its done! Almost all the videos playing in the background of my website here are shot with the BMPCC and Nikon Glass. I'm very happy with the image I'm able to get out of the camera. It still delights years after release.

You can check out my blog on the website if you're interested in exactly what setup I used for a few things. 1080p still looks great in 2017, no?

Nice! Great footage. Noiticed that you also use the Nikon D7200. I have the BMPCC but my wife recently bought the D7200 for stills photography. She disregarded my recommendation to buy a Lumix GH4 instead ;-) I have basically downplayed on the Nikon's video capabilities, but what are your opinions? Perhaps I should give it a chance?
    https://guerillafilmsoldier.wordpress.com/

Camera
    Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
    Zenit Meteor 5-1 f/1.9 17-69mm
    LOMO 16 OKS 3-10-1 f/2.1 10 mm
    Krasnogorsk-3 pistol grip with telescopic shoulder stock
    Fancier FC-270A Tripod with FC-02H Fluid Head

Workstation
    Windows 10 Pro
    Resolve 12.5.4.019
    ASUS X99-A
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3 GHz 15MB
    16GB RAM Corsair DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengeance
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB
    Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD
    Seagate Desktop 2TB HDD

Thanks for the compliment! The GH4 is a great camera and definitely superior for video. That being said the D7200 and DSLRs in general can serve a great purpose in your kit. I think the biggest difference between the GH4 and the D7200 will show while using them for still photography. Having shot with the GH4 and GH3 they just don't feel as well laid out or comfortable. I feel for stills, the D7200 still has superior image quality and you get native support for a huge library of amazing lenses, many of which you can pick up for next to nothing.

I have the D7000 as well as the D7200. I started off with Nikon cameras and have always loved their controls and layout for photography so that's why I picked one up. If you were to buy a camera solely to shoot video with, I wouldn't normally recommend Nikon and I doubt there are many people that would. As a camera that you can cut in with your bmpcc as well as taking killer still shots, the D7200 can definitely do the job as your b camera. For me, I use Nikon glass adapted to my bmpcc with a speed booster so I use the same lenses across both cameras and the crop factor on both is roughly the same.

The D7200 also has a larger selection of frame rates than the BMPCC and in 1.3x crop mode can record 1080p 60fps which I love for subtle slow motion. The D7200 also has a flat mode, which I shoot in and helps a little bit in trying to combat blown out highlights. You can also just go into a neutral setting and turn down all the sharpener, contrast boosters or really any of the baked in profile, just turn everything to zero. Remember to use the 180 degree shutter rule and use an ND to adjust exposure for the most part unless you can totally control the light. It seems like a lot of the things I didn't like about the image coming from my D7000 were more my fault than the cameras. After picking up a BMPCC I was forced to control exposure with ND's, aperture and lighting instead of just jacking my shutter speed or cranking the ISO. I'm not saying everyone that shoots with a DSLR does this but coming from shooting with very basic video cameras and still photography I hadn't properly learned the basics of cinematography. We see tons of video cameras including our smartphones use high shutter speeds in bright light and it ends up looking very digital. I think you'll be surprised at what this camera is capable of. I still shoot with my D7000 and I'm surprised at how much more I can do with the footage after a few years more editing/basic grading experience.

One last tip is to use the D7200 for close ups and your BMPCC for mediums/wides if you can. When shooting something in an A and B camera scenario I almost always have my D7200 in tighter. I believe there is actually a scientific explanation for this effect but essentially the closer a subject is to any camera, the better the image of it will look. Thats definitely a terrible over simplification but you can see it in practice with you smartphone. Landscapes look great but mid range portraits arent really the best, especially when directly compared to a macro shot, which will appear to be an overall sharper quality. Although the pixel count isn't changing take a few photos and its hard to deny that the macro photos just look and "feel" higher quality, crisper, ect. I've actually started to use my iPhone 7 with Filmic Pro as my C camera and if you looked over my website, the footage of the BMPCC with the smoke was filmed with my iPhone.

Test your D7200 or any camera you'll be shooting with extensively. For me, exercising the camera and figuring out what it's capable of and what I can expect from it when I get into my editor has been eye opening. Oh and I forgot to mention the D7200 has a clean HDMI out. Its 1080p 8 bit output and really doesn't give you much extra quality but you can easily hook up an external recorder to avoid that pesky 29 minute limit! As you can tell, I really like this camera. I often shoot weddings and it's my go to B camera. I wish it natively recorded over 29 minute clips but again, an easy solve with the external recorder. Its nice to have a solid still camera as well especially considering our bmpcc system offers nothing in that department.

Jamie, I build Web solutions for a living. Allow me to give you an advise on websites. If your content is not responsive within 6 secs or less, you will loose your audience, hence potential clients. The videos are beautiful but takes time and bandwidth to render. Not everyone looking at your Site has fast Internet, the latest browsers, or fast computers. So you might want to consider what works best to get audience wanting to stay on your Site longer and for info. This is not a criticism but more of a suggestion hopefully will help you make your Site effective.

Thanks for the reply EYu, this was exactly the kind of great feedback I was looking for. The background videos are 50mb which is my max for the web editor I'm using as of now, Wix. As the company is extremely young and we are in infancy I wanted to keep our page easy to update or even overhaul if necessary. After we get our footing, I will be contracting a proper designer like yourself to help me get the perfect site that easily funnels our newest media from social sites. Are you familiar with Wix? I encode my video with compressor on my mac and my opening page video is a 48.5mb video of 3 minutes in length. I'm not willing to compromise length on either my landing page video or my explainer welcome page video but how far can I downscale before it just looks like garbage to anyone with a nice screen?

My internet is 30mbps/5bmps which I don't consider to be super fast but I get we still have people with DSL. I believe most cable is currently around 5 to 10mb download at the lowest. Is there a way to view your sites performance at different internet speeds, possibly with a toggle switch to compare the experience based on connection?

Hi Jamie. I am familiar with Wix but I don't use them. I have my own hosting setup to host my sites. I like the free templates from HTML5 UP (www.html5up.net) as they are responsive pages - meaning they adopt to any screen form factor (desktop to mobile). Videos are nice to use for intros but can be time consuming to load on a client's browser and turn away audience (as I said before). So there is a balance that you'll need to work on there. Usually, to improve website responsiveness, techniques are implored to display the pages without waiting for all the page components to render - like loading the static HTML first and lazy load the dynamic parts. These are done with some programming on the page using scripts like Javascripts, etc. The problem with "off the shelf build your website" like Wix is that you do not have control of the template internals, which are made for the 98% needs of the consumers that are attracting. Everything is done through their tools online, right? The templates implores little use of delivery and loading techniques, and that will slow down the display to the browser. I will tell you by experience if the website is slow to interact, the viewer moves on and majority will not try the site again. That's how you'll lose audience and potential clients. My suggestion is find that happy median between astonishing look and usability. I hope that makes sense.

On your question as to view your site performance, have you tried this? https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/ It's free from Google and works great. This will not work with Wix (or at least I have never used it with Wix so you might want to try) but another free tool is called Fiddler (http://www.asjava.com/tools/fiddler-...o-use-fiddler/). This is more low level stuff to analyze where bottlenecks are between the browser and the server. There are many tools out there like the couple I mentioned here. But again, going back to what I said, balance between look and usability and if I have a winning recipe to share, be bullish on usability. Good luck and cheers!

Thanks again, I will be tweaking it as much as I can through WIX for the time being but obviously the best is going to be having a proper designer help me navigate the finer points of a great website. I'm really set on having videos on my first two pages so I'll have to work with my web designer and make it work, sounds like its par for the course for you guys. Tools are already great, I'll continue testing and tweaking until its perfect.

Jamie, WiX is fine for what you are doing now. When you have enough traction then look at doing the Pro route. Cheers.