Thread: Who's waiting until after NAB to buy the URSA Mini Pro?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Yea, that's pretty much all of the cinema cameras...JVC's LS300 will receive a 4K/60p and 10-bit 4:2:2 4K/24p/30p firmware update in May.

RED Raven $10K-$12K setup. More than the Mini, but a few more K might be worth its recognition and respect.

I was thinking about the mirrorless cameras too:

Sony A6300
    Sony A6500
    Fuji X-T2
    Fuji X-T20
    Olympus E-M1 Mark II
    Panasonic G85
    Panasonic GH5

All cameras under $2K with a banging image.

A new Canon, Sony and Panasonic cinema camera may or may not be on their way. (Just rumors, but a new Canon cinema camera like a C200, a new cheaper Varicam LT, and a new Sony FS5 II.)

If all three would be under $10K and have all of the features that the UMP has and more (besides RAW), then will one pay $6K for color science? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I'm just thinking out loud with what the OP mentioned about the impact and the GH5/UMP market.

$6K for the features would have been a great argument in 2013/2014, but everyone has caught up now.

All companies have great sensors in a similar price range.

Personally, I think it's underwhelming because...$6K is really $8K and then what do you have?

The same problematic 4.6K sensor with no auto-focus - no image stabilization - and no high ISOs, with a few extra buttons and ND filters.

The last thing that people are thinking about when looking into a GH5 is the RAW capability. The GH5 will shoot 10-bit 4:2:2 4K, which is enough for 99% of people on this earth.

I know you love your Micro and I don't really know where I'm going with this, but I think you may want to reevaluate what's out there if you think $1K for a 1080p camera is a good deal in 2017. lol
    I know and no hard feelings. I know you are really into the point and shoot cameras, but I think most of here on this forum are looking for a little more.

I champion 4K just as much as the next 4k lover out there, and have upgraded my workstation to handle my next camera purchase. But there maybe some misunderstanding by what I mean by wanting 4K. I will take my RAW 1080p footage over the H.264 Sony A7rII footage any any day of the week. I'm only looking to upgraded to 4k when I'm able to get the same code as what I get on my Micro.

10-bit 422 H.264 is still H.264 and as far as I know the GH5 only shots H.264 internally. Right?

$6K is $8K? what do you mean the media? Both camera's media are about the same price. at least close.

You are right about the AF and stabilization, but probably not about "cinema shooters" wanting those items. Minus stabilization, but internal won't give you what you need, hence gimbals are necessary.
    But Youtubers and Bloggers who may have been eyeing the UMP may now be eyeing the GH5 so you are probably right about stealing customers.

And trust me! My H.264 Sony footage will never look like my Pocket footage no matter what I do to it.

And to answer the OP. Yes I'll be waiting until NAB. I almost bought a BMPC 4K 4 months ago... so close but waited.
    Last edited by Timothy Cook; 04-06-2017 at 08:45 PM.

Timothy, you can get grand 4K Rec 709 footage with a Micro Studio and a PixE 5 recorder/monitor, with Pro level audio too.
    But I agree, I would have,to,cnnectma OixE to the GH5 to get any useable footage from it. That said, for the blogger and UTubers, a GH5 would be better for them, rather than a UM Pro, which they will not know how to really use anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Cook View Post
    I know and no hard feelings. I know you are really into the point and shoot cameras, but I think most of here on this forum are looking for a little more.

I champion 4K just as much as the next 4k lover out there, and have upgraded my workstation to handle my next camera purchase. But there maybe some misunderstanding by what I mean by wanting 4K. I will take my RAW 1080p footage over the H.264 Sony A7rII footage any any day of the week. I'm only looking to upgraded to 4k when I'm able to get the same code as what I get on my Micro.

10-bit 422 H.264 is still H.264 and as far as I know the GH5 only shots H.264 internally. Right?

$6K is $8K? what do you mean the media? Both camera's media is about the same price. at least close.

You are right about the AF and stabilization, but probably not about "cinema shooters" wanting those items. Minus stabilization, but internal won't give you what you need, hence gimbals are necessary.
    But Youtubers and Bloggers who may have been eyeing the UMP may now be eyeing the GH5 so you are probably right about stealing customers.

And trust me! My H.264 Sony footage will never look like my Pocket footage no matter what I do to it.

And to answer the OP. Yes I'll be waiting until NAB. I almost bought a BMPC 4K 4 months ago... so close but waited.
    For the record, I'm not "really into point-and-shoot cameras", lol.

I've just finally embraced the law of diminishing returns for myself.

Compression isn't king man...content is king.

People are doing amazing things with very little.

I ordered the UMP because I got the loyalty URSA discount. I would have waited if i had to pay full price. I have a feeling BM won't announce any cameras. But i could be wrong so who knows .

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post

Compression isn't king man...content is king.

People are doing amazing things with very little.
    Yes, Yes, I think we all know that , but that is changing the context of the discussion we are having... the quality of footage produced from different cameras, not the actually story or content shot by said cameras.

I just want it all; is that too much to ask? I want the image, raw, and color from the UMP, the auto-ND and form factor from the FS5, the dual IS 2 and price from the GH5. Oh, and 4 XLR inputs from the UMP.

Quote Originally Posted by tyger11 View Post
    I just want it all; is that too much to ask? I want the image, raw, and color from the UMP, the auto-ND and form factor from the FS5, the dual IS 2 and price from the GH5. Oh, and 4 XLR inputs from the UMP.
    Getting all of that for $2K is likely out of the ballpark for a little while. It still costs money for R&D/manufacturing.

Here is some good info for anyone who cares. Just some passing the time knowledge, but valuable all the same. A little fun knowledge about camera manufactures compression choices.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yHmiV2tn8k&t=306s

They say if you can't explain it simply, then you don't really understand it. WolfCrow explains it simply enough that I was able to grasp it :P

Timothy, I don't want to beat a dead horse, but it's not changing the context of the discussion we are having.

YOU said in post #5 - "In all these "what's best" talks, we seem to forget that compression is King. Once you throw away info it can NEVER be returned to the image."

I have OCD and I'm bored, lol, and I could truly dissect everything you've posted in the last bit of detail, including:

- Why a $6000 price tag for what the UMP offers is not that amazing anymore.
    - Why the media costs are very different between the UMP and the GH5.
    - Why the A7RII was a bad example to use.
    - Why most bloggers or YouTubers would never choose the UMP for their work unless they actually work in production. Most of them are just gear ambassadors.
    - Why the internal 5-axis image stabilization in a few modern cameras is very good and certainly usable without a gimbal.
    - Why the questioning of why Sony footage will never look like pocket footage is an unreasonable argument.
    - Why H.264 is good enough for almost everyone.

...but I just want to answer what you initially said you may be misunderstanding:

I meant that being on the outside or being new to the BM world and knowing nothing about BM and never owning a BM camera, I think many people see the UMP as the perfect camera.

But being on the inside and LOOKING IN (after someone personally spends a lot of money with BM or on gear in general), I just don't think that $6000 for the camera is so amazing how you might/do.

And I think that any potential camera operators looking to purchase a UMP may definitely be also considering a GH5 instead where as most people who are considering a GH5 will definitely buy a GH5 and are not looking at a UMP.