Thread: Who's waiting until after NAB to buy the URSA Mini Pro?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Who's waiting until after NAB to buy the URSA Mini Pro? 
    Most clients I talk to about the URSA Mini Pro are excited about the improvements Blackmagic has made, but are waiting to see what else comes out at NAB to make a purchase. I certainly think that makes sense, but I'm curious about just how much pent up demand is really out there. Also, is it fair to say the GH5 doesn't impact people who are looking at the URSA Mini Pro?

Senior Member daydreamersproductions's Avatar
    Me. Just in case
    Go to my site to see my current Production and Post Production Gear
    http://www.daydreamersproductions.com/

I'm secretly hoping for a price drop on the original 4.6. I just do controled narrative so can live without the eng features. If they say took
    $1000 off the original model it could be set up with viewfinder and shoulder kit for same price as Pro body. One can dream.

Anyone who knows about NAB is probably waiting...but anything new most likely won't be available until the Summer/Fall.

On the outside - when you haven't been a Blackmagic user since the beginning or know nothing about the cameras - the UMP looks like a dream camera. On the inside, it's pretty underwhelming for many just as it is exciting.

The GH5 will be successful with or without anything around it. New customers will be recycled as existing consumers jump brands.

You can argue the GH5's strengths and weaknesses, but you can only say so much when it costs $2K vs. $6K.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    UMP looks like a dream camera. On the inside, it's pretty underwhelming for many just as it is exciting.

The GH5 will be successful with or without anything around it.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment... by inside I guess you're talking about it's image and recording capabilities? Or are you wanting something more inside of the camera? Fridge? I only jest.
    Has BMD already jaded us, and we sniff our nose at something like the UMP for $6000. Are we already there? Didn't take to long to expect/demand ARRI quality for $6000. The only underwhelming part of the UMP is the price. F-ing $6000 people.
    Last year I literally bought a 1080p 60fps RAW and Prores internal recording camera for less than a grand. I $hit you not! I'm still waiting for BMD to say, "Wait! We f'ed up our pricing. The Micro's are now $10,000" You know why? Because that's what that type of camera cost from other manufactures.

Are we comparing a large Super 35 60p RAW internal recording camera to a H.264 compressed as hell camera? In all these "what's best" talks, we seem to forget that compression is King. Once you throw away info it can NEVER be returned to the image. EVEEEEEEEEEEEEER! lol
    Last edited by Timothy Cook; 04-06-2017 at 06:58 PM.

I am also waiting until NAB, a $2K Ursa Micro with a Mzfat size sensor or smaller, tha has a S16 Wndow shooting capability, if a larger sensor, So I can use my S16 lenses.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Cook View Post
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment... by inside I guess you're talking about it's image and recording capabilities? Or are you wanting something more inside of the camera? Fridge? I only jest.
    Has BMD already jaded us, and we sniff our nose at something like the UMP for $6000. Are we already there? Didn't take to long to expect/demand ARRI quality for $6000. The only underwhelming part of the UMP is the price. F-ing $6000 people.
    Last year I literally bought a 1080p 60fps RAW and Prores internal recording camera for less than a grand. I $hit you not! I'm still waiting for BMD to say, "Wait! We f'ed up our pricing. The Micro's are now $10,000" You know why? Because that's what that type of camera cost from other manufactures.

Are we comparing a large Super 35 60p RAW internal recording camera to a H.264 compressed as hell camera? In all these "what's best" talks, we seem to forget that compression is King. Once you throw away info it can NEVER be returned to the image. EVEEEEEEEEEEEEER! lol
    I'm just thinking out loud with what the OP mentioned about the impact and the GH5/UMP market.

$6K for the features would have been a great argument in 2013/2014, but everyone has caught up now.

All companies have great sensors in a similar price range.

Personally, I think it's underwhelming because...$6K is really $8K and then what do you have?

The same problematic 4.6K sensor with no auto-focus - no image stabilization - and no high ISOs, with a few extra buttons and ND filters.

The last thing that people are thinking about when looking into a GH5 is the RAW capability. The GH5 will shoot 10-bit 4:2:2 4K, which is enough for 99% of people on this earth.

I know you love your Micro and I don't really know where I'm going with this, but I think you may want to reevaluate what's out there if you think $1K for a 1080p camera is a good deal in 2017. lol

No, but it would be a good deal for a 4K, GH5 type camera!
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I'm just thinking out loud with what the OP mentioned about the impact and the GH5/UMP market.

$6K for the features would have been a great argument in 2013/2014, but everyone has caught up now.

All companies have great sensors in a similar price range.
    I don't really think DSLR's are competing due to the features and body style. What are the competing cameras in a similar price range as the Mini Pro besides these below?

Sony FS5 - $5,800 - Gets your ISO's, Frame rates...but terrible codecs.
    Sony FS7 - $8,400 - I think this is it's closets competitor as it ticks off all the boxes (cept pay extra for RAW). Used it a bunch, never truly happy with the color out of this camera. Perhaps the M2 will be an improvement. Also hate the menus (really on all Sony cams).
    Sony F55 - $28,000 - Shoots 4K in a variety of frame rates, and has a ton of ISO options. Great camera if you're not going too heavy in color correction as it doesn't stretch too far.
    Canon C300 M2 - $12,000 - Gets you your ISO's, IS, just don't have a need to shoot 4K at higher than 30FPS. Also hate the top heavy body style.
    Panasonic Varicam LT - $16,000 - Love the big brother Varicam, and I'd love to own one of these. But again, great camera....but not sure if it's worth another $10k unless production is paying for it.

I'm waiting. I'm holding out hope that Blackmagic will release a Pro-ish M4/3rds camera. Either an Ursa Micro or a Cinema Camera V2.