Thread: B&H: ursa 4.6 turret discontinued

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 B&H: ursa 4.6 turret discontinued 
    Just got the email from BH saying my preorder was cancelled due to the manyfacturer telling them that it was discontinued.

Whst does this mean? No turret, or a new version (5k)?

Cmosis is making an 8k sensor . . .

Means there was little interest in it (according to Grant Petty) and they kept having problems so the R&D time wasn't worth it. The URSA Mini Pro was the upgrade path.

There's only a handful even on the forums here and official they were that interested in it.

Tony Rivera of BMD said on another forum that BMD has not announced they discontinued the turret and the email was a miscommunication. At this juncture, who could one believe?

Anyway, the URSA major is the real pro cinema camera that came off their assembly line worthy of an A-cam designation for what it's worth. Everything else is a B or C.

[joke redacted to not offend folks who need a safe space]
    Last edited by robmneilson; 04-05-2017 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robmneilson View Post
    I'm just wondering if blackmagic is secretly the pr firm that is handing trumps tax returns. Every day that seens more likely.
    Please no politics here. We can go anywhere on the internet to hear oversimplified virtue signalling from either side, this is a place for cameras etc, something we all share?

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Anyway, the URSA major is the real pro cinema camera that came off their assembly line worthy of an A-cam designation for what it's worth. Everything else is a B or C.
    Not really. URSA & URSA mini both can be A cameras.. That's about like Saying the Alexa Mini is only good as a B or C camera compared to the Alexa Classic

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Tony Rivera of BMD said on another forum that BMD has not announced they discontinued the turret and the email was a miscommunication. At this juncture, who could one believe?.
    I have to wonder since it was removed from all resellers sites then if the email wasn't just accidentally sent early.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Finnigan View Post
    Not really. URSA & URSA mini both can be A cameras.. That's about like Saying the Alexa Mini is only good as a B or C camera compared to the Alexa Classic
    I would never compare an Alexa with a Blackmagic. An Alexa in any format can be any cam including an A-cam. BMD URSA mini... Not to HW standards for A-cam. I am not saying you can't use it as a A cam. It just is not. Don't get me wrong. I own blackmagic products. They are affordable and usability is good enough.

I think that Grant saying that "not many people were interested in the upgrade" was the death knell for this camera. I still have some high hopes that they will have something up their sleeve at NAB, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

I'd be interested to see the numbers on how many big Ursa's were actually sold.