Thread: Fastcinemadng - Ursa cDNG RAW player

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by megapolis View Post
    ... I think that we have more chances if one day Apple will start utilizing NVIDIA GPUs.
    I would kind of doubt Apple will ever go back to NVIDIA GPUs. They're getting very good performance with the AMD GPUs and have tweak the MacOS to take advantage of the hardware.

I would kind of doubt Apple will ever go back to NVIDIA GPUs. They're getting very good performance with the AMD GPUs and have tweak the MacOS to take advantage of the hardware.
    I agree with you that AMD GPUs are very good products. No doubts about that. The problem is with availability of image processing libraries for OpenCL. Here you can have a look at our benchmarks for image processing on CUDA.
    Could you point me to any available OpenCL library with comparable performance for image processing algorithms on GPU?

Well, we are using Nvidia GPUs in our good, old 'cheese graters', you only need the drivers. To me it seems more useful if this software could also transcode to ProRes.

Will it run on a Nvidia in a eGFX enclosure? Could be great for doing a first light and dailies on set with a MBP.

The software can work with NVIDIA GPUs which are based at least on Kepler architecture (compute capability cc >=3.0). It means 6xx series or better. The latest drivers should be installed as well. It can work at laptops with NVIDIA GPUs. I don't think that MBP has such a GPU.
    As far as concerns ProRes, we are waiting for Apple decision about licensing that codec.
    Anyway, it could be always utilized as fast DNG player, but you need to have NVIDIA GPU.

Will it run on a Nvidia in a eGFX enclosure?
    I think that we have decent chances that it will work. Our software is written on QT, so we can port it to MacOS. There is a CUDA and NVIDIA driver for Mac OS, so it could work. I would say that it could be possible to solve that matter by the end of that year. Latency from Thunderbolt 3 side should not be strong as well. We will let you know.
    Last edited by megapolis; 08-08-2018 at 02:30 PM.