Thread: Nab 2017: Bmpcc 2?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    In today's world, the Pocket and the BMCC are still very viable for budding and student film makers. Why you ask? It is affordable and lens itself to a real cinema camera. A school in the Orange county (Cali) area, I'm told, who has a film making course, offers the curriculum with a BMPCC camera (probably at an educational discount price too). So if anything, then it is a performer and still a money maker for BMD. The BMCC 2.5K is an excellent camera. If they would make it in an URSA mini form factor with the same or improved 2.5K sensor and an Active MFT mount like the BMPCC, at a price point of around $1500~$1700, I'm sold. I'd like to see an EF version too (just a selfish side of me because I have been building up my EF lens collections). The reason I priced it in that area is just because that will be the market for it, and the older UM4K will likely deep down into the $2200~$2500 price range. The one BMD product that needs to be retired is the BMPC 4K, which the UM4K really had replace its viability a long time ago. I just don't know why it is still around... maybe we just don't know if HW is buying a lot of them as 4K crash cams. I heard that they do buy a lot of BMPCC and BMMCC for crash cams.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Well I was a Pocket user/owner, one of the originals, and I "upgraded" to the Micro Cinema camera. The Pocket's LCD screen was next to useless for me, hard to see, I only used it for the menu settings and check audio/Histograms. That said, having the little built in monitor did work with indoor situations, when I was using MFT native auto focus lenses for some "quick" grab shots. But the issues were more than the advantages, and the Micro solved most of theses issues for me.

Would I like to see a better Pocket camera released this year? You bet I would. But meanwhile I have discovered the Ursa Mini handle on the Micro gives you the Focus and Iris setting buttons from the Pocket (one feature I missed from the Pocket) and you get a nice grip too. Add a small EVF (I am using a Cineroid) to the top of the Micro camera, and you have a very useable Canon XC10 like rig, just as easy to use as the Pocket camera.
    Cheers
    Do you mean that you use this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._handgrip.html

...with the micro? And it gives focus+iris+rec? I didnt even know they sold them separately. Please tell me more

Quote Originally Posted by vvvvv View Post

...with the micro? And it gives focus+iris+rec? I didnt even know they sold them separately. Please tell me more
    Ya I have a Mini Pro shipping, def gonna try this, as i think it could be a great help to my Micro Rig. I really hope that the next iteration of the POCKET/MICRO includes the VGA, could be a way to sell a minimal camera that can expand into a nice handheld camera.

Bino actually discovered that the BM Ursa Mini handle (shown above at B&H) would add the two auto (actually a momentary push function like the Pocket buttons) functions. I have a handle on order, should have it next week.
    Cheers

Still waiting for v2 but slowly losing my hope. Unless they announce it at NAB I'm getting the GH5.

Quote Originally Posted by vvvvv View Post

I think it's a shame BMD haven't moved on from the standard LANC style options. I'm sure there are good reasons why it doesn't/can't happen, but having a range of cameras that can all be transformed with a proper grip would be great. Something with start/stop, iris wheel and the two function buttons (even with limited number of assignable functions, like the new Pro). Keep the micro/pocket approach, but give us an option to use the cameras more traditionally with this kind of grip.

Carlos & Denny: I'm very interested to hear how it works out. Hope you get back on this.

Ben: I don't know about the standards but I agree. And if they allready have a handgrip that works with the micro, why don't they mention it anywhere. Instead they promote a bulky manfrotto controller. If I had known about this I would have bought the handgrip right away with the micro. Instead I spent weeks doing my own control box. I get that the manfrotto has more controls but still...

BM, with the 4.6 Pro, seems to be aiming at the Alexa and higher-end ENG market now - which I think is a shame. They have a very good S16 camera, two actually, and from the posts here, and the excitement over the new GH5 elsewhere, it's clear there is a large market to be exploited.

It's been said many times, but to reiterate - a Micro Ursa, MFT, based on the S16 Micro with improved 2K sensor, audio pre-amp, headphone jack and two card slots would be a welcome addition, and ultimately a replacement, to the BM small camera line-up...

Further, the S16 size is preferable to the GH5's MFT sensor size because it allows those of us with legacy lenses to have access to true parfocal zooms that don't cost an arm and a leg, and are relatively light weight...

I know, probably won't happen at NAB, but it could, and it should...
    Last edited by Mac; 03-31-2017 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Further

I hope so. I would love to get a BMPCC as a B cam, but waiting until NAB to see if there is a refresh and/or price cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    BM, with the 4.6 Pro, seems to be aiming at the Alexa and higher-end ENG market now - which I think is a shame. They have a very good S16 camera, two actually, and from the posts here, and the excitement over the new GH5 elsewhere, it's clear there is a large market to be exploited.

It's been said many times, but to reiterate - a Micro Ursa, MFT, based on the S16 Micro with improved 2K sensor, audio pre-amp, headphone jack and two card slots would be a welcome addition, and ultimately a replacement, to the BM small camera line-up...

Further, the S16 size is preferable to the GH5's MFT sensor size because it allows those of us with legacy lenses to have access to true parfocal zooms that don't cost an arm and a leg, and are relatively light weight...

I know, probably won't happen at NAB, but it could, and it should...
    I would actually prefer the full MFT cut of the 4.6 sensor, or even the Sony sensor that the Gh5 has, that is the sensor that DJI has licenced for their new camera, so why can't BM at this point. There is no reason why it can't have recordable crops super16, or even standard 16, for the legacy market, but there are too many affordable and good lenses not to utilize the full format. The smaller pitch of the new sensors will allow full 1080, and maybe 2k on standard 16 lenses, something that many on a budget struggle with now on the pocket and micro.

There are many nice manual primes for MFT that will no doubt handle 4K, but they are generally not wide enough if limited to a super16 crop.