Thread: Nab 2017: Bmpcc 2?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Nab 2017: Bmpcc 2? 
    NAB 2017 is just around the corner and I'm hoping to see some kind of announcement on BMPCC 2. I'd be happy to just hear that they are "working" on it. Is it too naive of me to think/hope so at this point? I almost pre ordered GH5 but pulled out at the last minute hoping that BM got some good news next month. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by holdenkim View Post
    NAB 2017 is just around the corner and I'm hoping to see some kind of announcement on BMPCC 2. I'd be happy to just hear that they are "working" on it. Is it too naive of me to think/hope so at this point? I almost pre ordered GH5 but pulled out at the last minute hoping that BM got some good news next month. Any thoughts?

I would treat any announced canera as a long term investment and not a short term solution. Unless BMD has changed how they are going to release new cameras, my opinion is you are better off using what is available now and getting work done rather than waiting out delivery of a "coming soon" camera. This is not exclusive to BMD, as other camera manufacturers do the same things when it comes to announcing and releasing cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by holdenkim View Post

Most likely not going to happen. they just announced ursa mini pro.

Unless they plan to replace the current BMCC/BMPCC line with a gorgeous "low-cost" S16 sensor version of the URSA Mini 4.6K, for me it is difficult that a new product will come at NAB 2017. I think it is very difficult since a new product would "cannibalize" their old line (1st gen BMCC, BMPCC and the new BMMCC) as well as the Mini 4.6K itself (just think of a S16 new camera with the Ursa sensor..just add a Speed booster and it would be the ultimate low-budget cam fo 3K).
    Maybe the next year we will finally see a BMCC/BMPCC replacement, however, for the moment I am very happy with my BMPCC, I think it's absolutely still competitive in tha camera world today.

I actually expect them to announce something at NAB because of the Ursa Mini Pro. They wanted to restore some confidence in the camera line, so they announce and ship the Pro before NAB and that sets up something new to be announced at NAB that will be delivered mid to late this year. I can't imagine the Ursa Mini Pro was taking up all of their camera R&D dollars. It's 95% an Ursa 4.6k with some extra buttons and ND filters. They probably had it designed soon the 4.6k was even shipping.

There is too big of a hole to fill for a compact camera in the sub $2000 space (where BMD gets people hooked into the BMD ecosystem) for them not to. You may say that the pocket and BMCC are still active products, but how many people are buying a new pocket or BMMC in 2017? There are still a ton of current users, and a lot of activity on the used market, sure, but I can't see too many people still throwing down $1000 for a new pocket in 2017.

I'm hoping for some cut of the 4.6k sensor in a small body. 2k S16 or maybe something a little larger, 2.5k or 3k with a micro 4/3rds mount. 60fps, usable screen, decent battery solution, I'd love SDI but I know that HDMI is inevitable. Doesn't need to be as small as the pocket or micro cinema, but a lot smaller than the Ursa Mini. You'd probably get a ton of pocket users to upgrade just for the better screen, battery life and 60p.
    Last edited by mstrouty; 03-30-2017 at 11:51 AM.

Isn't the Micro Cinema basically Pocket V2? Same price, with some added features, particularly 60fps and 3:1 Compressed RAW?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasHennessy View Post
    Isn't the Micro Cinema basically Pocket V2? Same price, with some added features, particularly 60fps and 3:1 Compressed RAW?
    I think the micro was always meant to be a drone / remote camera and never a replacement for the pocket. Although I think it's a shame that it never really took off in the drone space. They really needed DJI, 3DR, YUNEEC, etc to build a cheap custom gimbal and controls for it like companies did with the go-pro and it never happened.

I think BMD see that people are so desperate for 60p, better HDMI port, and better battery life that they would deal with no screen and no real controls just to have them over the pocket. I think a pocket 2.0 or some sort of new compact camera is inevitable.

All I know is I've been waiting to throw a thousand(s) bucks at Blackmagic for the past 3 years, maybe this year it'll happen!

C'mon already, Pocket V2!!

(And Thomas, I wouldn't say the Micro is a Pocket replacement, at least market-space wise. I know about 5 or 6 folks with Pockets, not one of them has a Micro. No screen=non-starter for a LOT of people...)

I myself actually considered to upgrade BMPCC with BMMCC about a month ago, but quickly realized that it's NOT a good replacement at least for me. Longer battery life and 60p were attractive, but with no screen, I can't use it for a small gimbal. That's when I started to hope for BMPCC 2. If only that's in BMD's future plan, I think I can wait another year to upgrade.

Well I was a Pocket user/owner, one of the originals, and I "upgraded" to the Micro Cinema camera. The Pocket's LCD screen was next to useless for me, hard to see, I only used it for the menu settings and check audio/Histograms. That said, having the little built in monitor did work with indoor situations, when I was using MFT native auto focus lenses for some "quick" grab shots. But the issues were more than the advantages, and the Micro solved most of theses issues for me.

Would I like to see a better Pocket camera released this year? You bet I would. But meanwhile I have discovered the Ursa Mini handle on the Micro gives you the Focus and Iris setting buttons from the Pocket (one feature I missed from the Pocket) and you get a nice grip too. Add a small EVF (I am using a Cineroid) to the top of the Micro camera, and you have a very useable Canon XC10 like rig, just as easy to use as the Pocket camera.
    Cheers