Thread: Custom Sunhood for Blackmagic Video Assist 5' and 7'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Custom Sunhood for Blackmagic Video Assist 5' and 7' 
    I'm working with a 3D print shop to make a good Sunhood for the BM VA 5' and 7'. I have a 5' so here's the first design so far. I'll make modifications and post another design in about a week.

IMG_6546.jpgIMG_4415.jpg

Nice looking job Bino.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Nice looking job Bino.
    Cheers
    Thanks. The cost was $22.

DIY things cool! But i think foldable solution makes more sense. Small 3D printed joints attached to laser cutted walls made from plastic or metal. This can be more travel friendly and less expensive.

LCD-Screen-Protector-Pop-up-sun-Shade-lcd-Hood-Shield-Cover-for-Mirrorless-Digital-CAMERA-FOR.jpg

Shijan,

Metal is too reflective. I have a better design that's coming in a few days. I think that VA users will like it. When you're using a LCD monitor handheld, that last thing you need is movable joints. If you want a foldable design, I understand. It's about what each user wants. Everyone is different in their own way. Sunhood is $25 including shipping in the U.S. It might be a little more for international shipping. I'm not selling, I'm a co-creator. You're buying it straight from my recommended 3D print house, here in Florida.

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 2.37.04 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Bino; 03-29-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Shijan, love it, and you have just described the folding hood on a Graflex 23/XL Grihnd glass back, and your illustration is about the same proportions also. I loved that hood, nice job! Graflex/Singer is out of business, so no patent infringements here, you just will not be able to patent it either (not that you would want to).
    Bino, actually a textured flat black is not reflective, at least in the Graflex hood it's not. Shijan also mentioned plastic as a possible material too. Your design looks nice also, BTW.
    Cheers

Shijan, love it, and you have just described the folding hood on a Graflex 23/XL Grihnd glass back, and your illustration is about the same proportions also. I loved that hood, nice job! Graflex/Singer is out of business, so no patent infringements here, you just will not be able to patent it either (not that you would want to).
    Bino, actually a textured flat black is not reflective, at least in the Graflex hood it's not. Shijan also mentioned plastic as a possible material too.
    Cheers
    There are too many open spaces in that design. You will get leakage of light coming from the top left and right. If you bump it during a shoot, the foldable sides will move. I think that you need something solid. Just my opinion. Graflex/Singer is out of business for a reason. Ha-ha!

Good,points Bino, but I do not think the hood put them under, more like a income tax dodge in a declining large format camera market. Singer bought Graflex for their Polaroid contract (Graflex made all the original Polaroid csmeras) and when Polaroid's patent expired in the film technique, the contract was not very valuable as camera making went to Asia. So Singer closed the doors and declared a tax loss. Sad day for US camera makers, the beginning to the end in their film camera market. But time marches on....
    Cheers

Good,points Bino, but I do not think the hood put them under, more like a income tax dodge in a declining large format camera market. Singer bought Graflex for their Polaroid contract (Graflex made all the original Polaroid csmeras) and when Polaroid's patent expired in the film technique, the contract was not very valuable as camera making went to Asia. So Singer closed the doors and declared a tax loss. Sad day for US camera makers, the beginning to the end in their film camera market. But time marches on....
    Cheers
    I was just making a joke about the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Bino View Post
    Shijan, Metal is too reflective.
    Just glue inside a black velvet or black matte paper sheets with self adhesive tape. Or use textured matte acrylic paint. It should work better than semy-reflective black plastic material itself.