Thread: Fastest Way To Offload Footage

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Grasso View Post
    Great, thanks for the suggestions. Have you used Tera Copy? Is it stable/reliable? I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth it to spend the $100 on the Shoutput vs using the free Tera Copy if I just need to speed up my DNG transfers when I'm in the field?
    TeraCopy will SLOW DOWN your transfers....but ALL data-verification software will. But you'd be insane not to use it.

I have used TeraCopy for years and it has never twitched at me even once.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Just went to Shotput's website and watched their product demonstration...this software looks indispensable. The file verifications and notifications when the transfer is done would be so useful. I think I have permanent PTSD after one of my cfast cards became corrupted after attempting a file transfer at a shoot a couple months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    TeraCopy will SLOW DOWN your transfers....but ALL data-verification software will. But you'd be insane not to use it.

I have used TeraCopy for years and it has never twitched at me even once.
    Okay cool. Thanks Stewart, I'll try Tera Copy out first. I still have to figure out these insanely slow transfer speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrossjones View Post
    I have been pulling my hair out with the workload of my ursa. Yesterday I shoot a dusk shot, half on my drone and osmo raw (which is a data problem on its own!) and the rest with my ursa. Shooting into the sun I have found raw quite a bit better than process 1080p 4444 (I only need 1080p) - so I have been having to shoot raw- and stuck with dealing with 4.6k 60p. So I shot 2 x 64gb and 2 x 128gb cards (along with the osmo) and I was up till 2am- where I left the last osmo ssd going while I went to sleep. The editor needed transcoded footage, so I was up at 6am to transcode (3 hours) so I could rush the footage over. I didnt have time to backup.
    I am finding this workload too hard for the speeds things need to be done.

Can I download many cards at the same time with this software (if I buy a few more cfast readers)? then go to sleep while it churns away?

I have also thought about getting a couple of older cheap 13inck macbook pros to be dedicated downloading machines.

paul
    I was in a similar situation as you described wrangling data on a TVC that was shooting the Ursa Mini. We were shooting at 4.6K on ProRes 4444, and basically we were getting around 40min per 256gb card and it would take 40min to download each card. What I loved about Hedge was that I could plug all the cards I had to download into the computer (via the Lexar hub) and Hedge will transfer and verify each file to multiple locations -- in my case I had it transferring to the internal SSD and two other USB3 drives. It'll tell you if there are any issues with the transfer or the verification, log the checksum and where it was copied to, and if you download the Hedge Connect app and pair it with your computer it'll notify you via the app that the transfers are done.

The best bit about Hedge is that it'll do full checksum verification without significant slow downs -- so it'll copy files about as fast as the Finder but with full verification to boot. The downside is that it's expensive, but there's a trial period for allthe features, after which it reverts to a free version with limitations that you can keep using. It doesn't do a lot of things, so it's pretty expensive for basically a one trick pony, but it does what it does really well and I don't regret buying it at all!

John

Hi,
    another vote for shotput pro. Peace mind is important when dealing with footage.

What I find quite funny is that I started off as a loader dealing with the 1 copy of stuff on some quite big budget commercials and promos. The one copy that could be ruined by exposure to light, xrays, camera scratches, holes in changing bag, bad stock, fumbling while actually loading it(if you've never loaded the slippery stuff that is reversal film you're lucky ) etc.

Yet for some reason I see digital footage as somehow less robust. Strange really.

Adobe Prelude will also do two location copying and HASH verification. It's not quite as simplistic for non-technical people to offload if you have people helping you that aren't technical

Just by using (AC) powered drives, instead using the USB power, you can save up to 22 minutes per hour.

1-RPRy4KxcuTZXiCU0GjvjRA.jpg

Same goes for your card reader. have it on a AC powered hub.

Quote Originally Posted by jhnkng View Post
    I was in a similar situation as you described wrangling data on a TVC that was shooting the Ursa Mini. We were shooting at 4.6K on ProRes 4444, and basically we were getting around 40min per 256gb card and it would take 40min to download each card. What I loved about Hedge was that I could plug all the cards I had to download into the computer (via the Lexar hub) and Hedge will transfer and verify each file to multiple locations -- in my case I had it transferring to the internal SSD and two other USB3 drives. It'll tell you if there are any issues with the transfer or the verification, log the checksum and where it was copied to, and if you download the Hedge Connect app and pair it with your computer it'll notify you via the app that the transfers are done.

The best bit about Hedge is that it'll do full checksum verification without significant slow downs -- so it'll copy files about as fast as the Finder but with full verification to boot. The downside is that it's expensive, but there's a trial period for allthe features, after which it reverts to a free version with limitations that you can keep using. It doesn't do a lot of things, so it's pretty expensive for basically a one trick pony, but it does what it does really well and I don't regret buying it at all!

John
    Hi, this sounds great.

It would be cool to be able to download a few cards together, but I need to figure out how to fit a few card readers to my laptop (if I'm working out on the field).
    I only have 2 x thunderbolt ports and 2 x usb, and sometimes no power to feed a hub. So i could download 2 x cards, but 4 would be great. Most of time I would have power, but having a solution that worked without would be safer. Technically I could use - say 2 x usb 3 readers and 1 x thunderbolt readers (i need 1 x port to go to a larger storage drive). Maybe this is enough.

It would be interesting if the laptop could power 3 x card readers and an ssd raid (for my storage).

Very interested in making this work, not just for video, but for shooting volume stills as well, free up my assistant to concentrate on shooting and not having to stay up late on shoot days.

paul
    Paul Ross Jones

-------------------------
    www.paulrossjones.com

So what would be the best setup for being portable, inexpensive, and fast for off loading and previewing Cinema DNG files?